Friday, October 30, 2009

Roasted Chicken, Take Two

S U C C E S S !!!!!!!!!!!
Can I get some trumpets and fan fare please?!!! This chicken turned out wonderfully. None of the problems I had the first time I tried making roasted chicken. I can roast a chicken!!!! This time the meat was fully cooked and the skin was brown and crispy. I wish I had been able to get a better photo. The chicken skin looks a bit black, but it is really dark brown. Know what the secret was? Peach preserves!!! Mrblocko said it was like the skin was candied. Holy cow!!!! This was the most addictive chicken skin on the planet. Seriously, I wanted to eat all the skin for dinner and forget about all that tender juicy chicken meat. I restrained myself, but only because I wanted to see how stock would turn out flavored by that sweet caramelized skin.
The stock turned out amazing. It's probably the best looking and tasting stock I've made, or helped to make. I made soup with the stock last night. I'll post about the soup sometime next week, so stay tuned for that!

You can find the recipe for roasted chicken with peach glaze at Real Mom Kitchen. I didn't have the garlic pepper that original recipe called for. Instead, I substituted McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning. The steak seasoning contains garlic, salt and pepper, among other things like paprika and red pepper flakes. I'll definitely use the steak seasoning next time, whether I have garlic pepper or not. The combo of spices were a great contrast to the sweetness of the peach preserves.

Roasted Chicken with Peach Glaze from Real Mom Kitchen
5 pounds whole roasting chicken
1 teaspoon garlic pepper blend
1/2 cup peach preserves

Heat oven to 375ºF. Spray rack in shallow roasting pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Rinse chicken inside and out with cold water; drain. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Sprinkle chicken with garlic pepper blend; place chicken breast side up on sprayed rack in pan. Bake at 375ºF for 1 hour. Brush chicken with preserves; bake an additional 35 to 45 minutes or until fork-tender and juices run clear. Chicken is done when internal temp reaches 180ºF. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!