Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Zucchini Pie

I've seen all sorts of recipes for zucchini pie floating about the internet. I first saw this recipe on Allrecipes. I think I've made enough changes to the recipe to call it my own.

Mrblocko doesn't like zucchini. He tells me this every time I suggest adding zucchini to a dish. Zucchini pie is the exception to that rule. This dish is Mrblocko's favorite way to eat zucchini. Probably because it takes something that is supposed to be good for you and makes it completely unhealthy.

Once I tried to make this dish healthier by making the following substitutions:
pork sausage ---turkey sausage
crescent rolls---low fat crescent rolls
butter ----------margarine
salt-------------omitted
eggs------------egg beaters

I don't recommend doing this. The result was not very tasty. It could be that I was just comparing it to the original. With all that salt and fat, how could it not taste good. Sometimes I will make only one or two low fat swaps and that results in a much tastier meal. I don't make zucchini pie very often though. I figure it is a special treat and therefore OK to have a fatty fat filled meal every once and a while.

Without further ado, here is my version:
(Yeah I forgot to take a picture but imagine a quiche topped with cheese and you'll get the idea.)

Zucchini pie
1/2 lb bulk breakfast sausage
1 (8 oz) pkg crescent rolls
Dijon mustard
1/4 c butter
1 small chopped onion
4 c zucchini, peeled, sliced in half lengthwise and then chopped into thin half circles
2 T parsley
1/4 t oregano
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
2 eggs, beaten
2 c mozzarella, shredded (this time I used 1 c mozz, 1/2 c provolone and 1/2 Swiss because I wanted to use up leftover cheese)

Preheat oven to 375. Unroll crescents and press into 9 inch pie pan, covering sides and bottom completely. Don't be afraid to manipulate the dough to get it to do what you want it to. Squeeze a few Tablespoons of Dijon mustard over crust. Spread out the mustard with pastry brush so it forms a thin even layer over the unbaked crust. Meanwhile, brown sausage in skillet. Remove from skillet and set aside. Melt butter and cook onions and zucchini over med high heat for 10-15 min until the moisture evaporates from the veggies and they begin to brown a bit. You want to make sure you cook out a good portion of the water in the zucchini or else your pie will turn out soggy. Season with herbs. Place veggies in large bowl along with the cooked sausage. Stir to combine. Add eggs and half the cheese. Stir to combine and pour into unbaked crust. Top with remaining cheese. Bake 20 minutes until filling is set. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!