Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pierogi Lasagna

I really like pierogies. Although, it was another one of those things that I hadn't ever heard about until I moved to Illinois. You'd think they'd be a big hit in Minnesota, being all white and potato-y.

I've never attempted to make pierogi before. They seemed a bit complicated. I've not yet mastered the art of noodles, other than opening the box and dumping them into boiling water.  Then I saw this recipe for pierogi lasagna from Omnomicon AND The Cutting Edge of Ordinary.  I can do lasagna, so why not give it a shot.
I mashed up both recipes and came up with a tasty meatless dinner for Lent.  I swear this recipe made a metric ton.  We wound up eating the leftovers all week.  Well, when I say we, I mean Blockette and I.  I couldn't subject Mrblocko to an entire week of no meat for dinner.

After one day of leftovers he came home and said, "Do you know that commercial for Fiber One snack bars, where the husband says, 'Fiber makes me sad?'  Well that's me, but with meat." 

That made me chuckle, so I found something else for him to eat.

By the end of the week Blockette and I were totally sick of this dish.  I think once we finished the last of it I actually said, "Hooray!"

Don't mistake me.  This was a really tasty dish.  It's just too much leftovers for our tiny family. Next year, if I make this for Lent, I'll just half the recipe.


Pierogi Lasagna adapted from Omnomicon and The Cutting Edge of Ordinary
9 lasagna noodles
3-4 lbs potatoes (I used russet) to get about 6c mashed potatoes
1/4c sour cream (I used low fat)
1/2 c milk
1 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
4T butter or olive oil
5 medium onions, finely chopped


Bechemel Sauce
3 c milk
4T butter
1/4 c flour
1 t kosher salt
pepper to taste
pinch of nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350F.  In a 9x13 dish, place noodles.  Cover with boiling water and let sit for 15-20 min.

Meanwhile, peel, dice and boil potatoes.  When potatoes are fork tender, mash.  Add sour cream, milk, salt, pepper and cheese.  Drain the noodles.  Spray the 9x13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.

While the potatoes are cooking: chop and saute the onions in butter/oil until light golden brown.  Fold into mashed potatoes.

Prepare the bechemel: Pour milk into a saucepan on medium heat and bring just to a boil.  Remove from heat.  (I poured the milk back into the glass measuring cup.)  Melt butter in the same sauce pan over medium heat.  Whisk in flour.  Stir constantly for 2 minutes.  Slowly add hot milk in driblets, whisking constantly.  Cook 10-13 min, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.  Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Cover the bottom of the pan with a layer of sauce.  Then layer 3 noodles,  and a third of the potatoes.  repeat two more times and end with a layer of bechemel sauce.  Cover with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!