Friday, April 27, 2012

Seasoned Salts

I might seem a little odd for me to be posting about seasoned salts. I'm usually writing about how to eliminate salt from food and seasoning blends. Sometimes it's nice to use seasoned salts as a dry rub for meats, or for roasted/grilled potatoes.

One day I found two slightly different recipes for seasoned salt blends. I thought it would be fun to give them both a test drive.

The first one I made was seasoned salt from Family Feedbag.
It contained: Garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, white pepper (I broke both of my pepper mills, so white pepper was the only ground pepper I had on hand.) and salt.

The second seasoned salt was Mock Lowrys Seasoned Salt from Group Recipes.
It contained, cornstarch, turmeric, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and of course salt.

Here's what they looked like all blended up:
The Family Feedbag seasoned salt is on the left, and the Lowry's Copycat is on the right.

The Lowry's kept wanting to separate after the initial blending.  I'm guessing this was because of the cornstarch.  Because of this, and the fact that the Lowry's was so much lighter than the first salt blend, I was convinced I would prefer the Family Feedbag version.

Color me surprised, because we all liked the Lowry's better.  Not that the other blend was bad, the Lowry's was just a bit better balanced.  I think it was the sweet from the sugar and the heat from the smoked paprika.

Once I run out of both seasoned salts, I'll most likely make another batch of the Lowry's seasoning.


Seasoned Salt from Family Feedbag
1/4 c salt
1 T onion powder
1 T garlic powder
4 t paprika
1/2 t pepper

Copycat Lowry's from Group Recipes (I doubled this recipe)
2 T salt
2 t sugar
1/2 t smoked paprika
1/4 t turmeric
1/4 t onion powder
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t cornstarch

1 comment:

  1. The brain is self correcting to a degree, so it creates more serotonin receptors to cope with the lower levels of serotonin. This is physical addiction. The person has to drink to Coach Outlet Online 80 OFF keep the serotonin low enough to avoid physical symptoms such as shaking and psychosis, since the brain is much more sensitive to serotonin now than before the addiction.

    It cracked clean off of the crankshaft and allows the engine to crank but not start. The reason there is a no start condition is that the crack position sensor Coach Outlet Clearance Sale reads off of the outside of the flex plate to time the spark. In some cases this problem is preceded by a tick at idle in park/neutral that goes away when the drive train is under load.

    The fluid will flow through MK Outlet Sale your Cheap Air Forces nasal cavity and out the other nostril. It may also run into your throat. If this occurs, just spit it out. We know, we know it's the last thing you feel like doing at the Cheap Nike Air Force 1 end of a long day. But flossing along with brushing twice a day and heading to the dentist at least twice a year is essential to removing bacteria and keeping your teeth and gums disease free, says the American Dental Association. It may even help you live longer: According to a 2011 study of older adults, those who never flossed had up to a 30 percent higher risk of dying during the study than those with a daily flossing habit.

    Adams wearing his LSU purple gold (and how good he would look MK Outlet Online wearing scarlet gold). I was vehemently opposed to taking Thomas, and was lobbying hard for adams. I was arguing that Thomas was undersized for Coach Outlet Purses On Clearance an interior defensive lineman, and that all of his best work came on Jordan Shoe Stores the interior of the Cardinals line.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!