Monday, July 23, 2012

BBQ Turkey Burgers

Are you getting tired of burgers midway through the summer? We usually have them at least once a week and sometimes I just want something different.
This time I made BBQ Chicken burgers from Tracy's Culinary Adventures. They were pretty good as far as ground poultry burgers go.  I do prefer beef burgers, but turkey was a nice change.  I think that what was tripping me up was the grit from the cornmeal.  I used the fine ground stuff, but occasionally I'd get this sandy texture.  I bet if I crumbled up some cornbread muffins I'd still get the flavorful filler without the grit.

Barbecue Chicken Burgers from Tracy's Culinary Adventures
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 scallion, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
pinch cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons light brown sugar
5 tablespoons barbecue sauce, divided
1 lb ground chicken (I used ground turkey)

Add the cornmeal, scallion, parsley, paprika, garlic powder, dry mustard, kosher salt, pepper, brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of the barbecue sauce to a medium bowl. Stir to combine. Add the ground chicken and use your hands to gently mix the ingredients together until incorporated. Set aside the remaining 3 tablespoons of barbecue for brushing the burgers as they cook.

Divide the chicken mixture into 4 equal portions, and shape each into a patty. Put the burgers on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Set a grill pan over medium to medium-high heat. Spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray. Put the burgers on the pan, and cook for 3-4 minutes on the first side. Flip the burgers and brush the top (cooked side) with some of the reserved barbecue sauce. Cook for about 3 minutes on the second side then flip once more and brush the other side with the remainder of the reserved sauce. Add the cheese (if using), and allow it to melt. (These cooking times are an estimate - you're looking for a final internal temperature of 165 F - avoid overcooking or the burger will be dry.)

Makes 4 burgers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!