Monday, July 16, 2012

Pinterest Fact or Fiction: episode 3

I'm always very curious when I hear about these amazing super cleaning tips and tricks on Pinterest.  Sometimes they just seem too good to be true.

 I tried the DIY drain unclogger.  That was a mega fail.  Then again, it WAS a mega drain blockage that the plumber had to cut away part of the pipe to remove.  I have heard others try this vinegar and baking soda technique with very little success.  So I'm going to call that one a pinterest myth.

Then I tried the DIY silver jewelry cleaner.  Oh and yay verily, it rocked mine little world.  There's nothing like being able to wear your favorite jewelry you thought was ruined.  A huge mega success if there ever was one.

As I currently have a 50/50 success rate, I figured giving the stainless steal de-gunker tip from Tales and Tips from A Real-Life Housewife was worth a shot.  The tip is to take a few tablespoons of Cream of Tartar and mix it with a few drops of water to make a paste.  Then you just scrub away.

Here is what I had to work with:

One nasty gross looking tea kettle.  That oily gunk wouldn't come off even with extra elbow grease from Mrblocko.   EW!

Here is the after:
Well...the cream of tartar paste DID get the oily gunk off.  But it did nothing for what I guess is rust?

I'd have to say this was a pinterest fact.  The tip didn't say anything about rusty stains, just greasy ones. 

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get rid of the rust on the tea kettle!  Please let me know your suggestions.  I love this kettle and am sick of how gross it looks!

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried using Bar Keepers Friend? It works great, you may need a plastic scrubbie to work it thought. Another favorite is lemon and kosher salt to scrub away stains. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips. I have not tried bar keepers friend. I will have to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!