Monday, August 20, 2012

Tex Mex Crackers

Back in December I made these Ranch flavored oyster crackers. They were super addictive and I put them on everything from soup to salads.  I could not stop eating them.

So when I saw this recipe for Tex Mex Crackers in the kid's recipe book American Grub, by Lynn Kuntz, I knew I had to make some right away.
I fiddled with the recipe just a wee bit.  The original directions do not call for baking the coated crackers.  This made the crackers really greasy, and the seasoning stuck to your fingers, not the crackers when you tried to nibble on a handful.  Not good.

Over all, these were a tasty treat.  They weren't as addictive as the ranch crackers, but that was a good thing.  It helped facilitate portion control. And that is a good thing, particularly since oyster crackers have a fairly high fat content when it comes to crackers.

Here's what we did when we made our version of the Tex Mex Crackers:
1 12 oz pkg oyster crackers
1 1/2 T Taco seasoning
1/4 t chili powder
1/4 t garlic powder
1/8 t oregano
1/8 t cumin
1/3 c oil (I think 1/4 c would be sufficient)

Mix. Bake 250F for 15 min. Stir every 5 min.  Cool and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!