Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Coffee Cake in a Mug

I am a huge fan of this eggless brownie in a mug. It's the perfect treat when you don't have any sweets in the house and you've got a massive chocolate craving. Plus there is that bonus of not eating an entire pan of brownies as it is just one little serving, (or two if you feel generous and wanna share.)

But what happens when you are out of cocoa powder?  Then what do you do when you want something sweet that is quick, easy and portion controlled?  Well, you make this Mug o' coffee cake from Prudent Baby!
This dessert tastes super sweet, but, if you make it with sour cream, it has half the sugar of the brownie in a mug.  I'm sure you could use Splenda instead of sugar with no problem, if that was your thing.

I left the egg out in my version and it turned out just fine.  So whether you add an egg or not is up to you.  I also used Dannon Light and Fit Vanilla yogurt so I didn't add any vanilla extract to my version.  Light and fit is a fat free yogurt and the cake turned out just fine.  I think you'd be ok using the fat free sour cream as well.  There is enough fat from the butter in the recipe that the fat from the sour cream/yogurt is not necessary.  So use whatever you have on hand, your mug of cake will turn out fine either way.  Don't you love it when a recipe is flexible like that?!

5 minute coffee cake in a mug from Prudent Baby
1 T butter
2 T sugar
1/2-1 egg, or omit all together
2T sour cream or yogurt (I used 2 heaping T of yogurt since I omitted the egg)
few drops of vanilla (I omitted this as my yogurt was vanilla flavored)
1/4 c flour (I used whole wheat)
1/8 t baking powder
1/2 t cinnamon

Crumb topping

1T butter
2T flour
1T brown sugar
1t cinnamon

In a separate bowl combine all ingredients for crumb topping with a knife, fork or fingers.
In a microwaveable mug nuke the butter for 10-15 seconds, just enough to soften.  Add sugar and combine.  Next add egg, if using.  Mix in Sour cream/yogurt and vanilla.  Next mix flour, baking powder and cinnamon until all ingredients are combined. Add crumb topping to the top of the mixture in the mug.  Microwave for 1 minute.  If cake is not done enough cook for another 10 seconds at a time until cake is at desired texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!