Sunday, October 26, 2014

30 Days of Pumpkin-Day Twenty-five: Maple Pumpkin Bean Quesadilla

These Maple Pumpkin Bean Quesadillas were a real surprise.  I made them one day for lunch when I was home by myself.  So I didn't have to share! 

While beans and pumpkin aren't something I'd think of combining, they really work in this recipe.  The beans and pumpkin prevent each other from becoming too overwhelming.  Both flavors are present, but not overwhelming.  The sweet from the maple and salty from the cheese are also complimentary to each other. 

This is a fun lunchtime treat for when the pumpkin craving hits!


Maple-Pumpkin White Bean Quesadilla via Lunchbox.com
 2 tortillas
1 t coconut oil (I used olive oil)
1/4 c vegan cheese shreds, jack or mozzarella flavor (I used cheddar jack)
1/4 c canned white beans, drained and rinsed (I used leftover cooked from dried beans)
1 t maple syrup, grade B (I used pancake syrup)
2-3 Tcanned pumpkin puree, unsweetened
1/8 t salt
pinch of garlic powder, cinnamon, black pepper and cayenne

Pumpkin Dipping Sauce: 2 T pumpkin puree
pinch of salt, black pepper, cinnamon and cayenne
1 T hummus (or a splash of melted coconut oil) (I used olive oil again)
2 t maple syrup (I used pancake syrup)

  Spread pumpkin on tortilla, then beans.  Mash beans with a fork.  Heat pan over high.  Add oil. Place beaned up tortilla in pan when pan is heated. Add cheese, spices and syrup.  Prep your tortilla by slathering the pumpkin over the inside. Then add the beans and smash them into the tortilla with a fork. Top with remaining tortilla.  Cook for 1-2 min on each side until they are golden brown and crispy.  cut into wedges.

For sauce: Combine all ingredients and nuke for 30 sec.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!