Wednesday, October 22, 2014

30 Days of Pumpkin-Day Twenty-one: Crockpot Pumpkin Oatmeal

This was the first time I'd ever cooked using a Bain-marie method in the crockpot.  I had seen lots of recipes for steel cut oats in the crockpot using this method but never thought to use it.  Then I discovered that my souffle dish fits nicely inside my large oval crockpot.

I thought if I could make steel cut oats in the crockpot, surely I could make a pumpkin version.  A google search yielded 4 recipes that caught my eye ( Carrie This Home, Closet Cooking, Kitchen Treaty, and Crockpot Ladies.)  So I took the bits I liked from each one and came up with this recipe.

Mrblocko and Blockette really liked this oatmeal.  I didn't particularly care for it, but I think that it's because most food makes my stomach churn in the morning.  I'm sure if I had a bowl of this for lunch I would have thought it was the bee's knees.


Pumpkin Crockpot Oatmeal
1c steel cut oats
2c water
2c milk
1c pumpkin
1/4c molasses
1/2c brown sugar
1/2 t ginger
1t cinnamon
1t apple pie spice
pinch of salt
1t vanilla

combine all ingredients in a heat proof dish that will fit inside your crockpot.  place dish inside crockpot.  Fill slow cooker with water one inch below the top of the dish that contains the food.  Cover and cook for 9 hours (or overnight) on low.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!