Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Choc chip oatmeal and the sweatshop revisited

I went over to Mrs Thunder's house again today to help her make more anklets. I was in a baking mood last night so I brought Crunchy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. These are a crispy cookies, which Mrs Thunder prefers. In the Blocko house we are of the chewy cookie persuasion. MrBlocko grumbled a bit that they were crispy, but I caught him trying to take 4 cookies with him to work this morning.

I think Cookie Madness was on the right track using dark chocolate chips. Next time I make these I'll use dark chips and pecans. I omitted the nuts because I couldn't remember if Mrs Thunder liked them or not. I do know she thinks dark chocolate is double plus ungood. I didn't think it would be very nice if I went to a friends house and said, "Here you go, here are some cookies that you will hate. Watch me eat them. Neener neener." Although...it might be kinda fun. Muhahahaha!


Crunchy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies from Cookie Madness
2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups quick-cooking oats
12 oz package semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped toasted nuts (walnuts or pecans)

Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. Cream shortening and sugars in bowl til light and fluffy, using electric mixer at medium speed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well. Blend in vanilla. Gradually stir dry ingredients into creamed mixture. Stir in oats, chocolate and nuts. Drop mixture by teaspoonfuls or shape into 1 inch balls and place about 2 inches apart, on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake in 350F oven 12-15 min til golden brown. Remove from baking sheets; cool on racks. Makes 6 dozen.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for no dark chocolate! you get to keep working in my sweat shop. I swear I may end up being the next Kathie Lee Gifford (oops all you Kathie Lee fans out there). I might have a couple more shows lined up so get ready :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!