Saturday, June 13, 2009

Georgia on my mind

For most of last week Mrblocko has been in Atlanta. This post is to taunt him with the tasty treats he missed while he was away.

Below is a photo of Betty Crocker "twice the blueberry" muffins and Oatmeal raisin cookies.

Yeah, I know that some people consider box muffin mixes to be sacrilege, but to that I say a resounding "Plbbbbt." They were quick, easy, moist and full of blueberry goodness. I realize some of you may be thinking blueberry goodness? Mrsblocko doesn't like blueberries. The fact of the matter is I only ever like blueberries in muffin form. OK, scratch that, I also like the chocolate covered blueberries from David and Harry's. That's beside the point.

The oatmeal raisin cookies were cracktacular as usual. It's hard to tell they are oatmeal raisin because I used golden raisins. I find the golden raisins don't get hard as a rock from baking like the purple-y black run of the mill raisins. These cookies spread out more than they usually do and in writing this post I've figured out why. I made Quaker vanishing oatmeal raisin cookies. The problem was that the recipe under the lid of oatmeal calls for 2 sticks of butter and a cup of brown sugar vs. the 1/2 c plus 6 T butter and 3/4 c brown sugar listed on the link above. I think the recipe on the Quaker website is the one I prefer and I followed the recipe on the lid. Mental note: do not follow recipe on the lid of the oatmeal container if you don't want a lace-y cookie. I also think the cookie needs more raisins. Probably a heaping cup would be a good place to start.

Moving right along... I present to you Roasted garlic, poblano and red pepper guacamole.

I do not like peppers, red or any other kind. To me, they have this bitter stinky taste that sits in the back of my mouth that I can't seem to get rid of with toothpaste or mouthwash. Having said that, this guacamole was a big risk cooking wise. I had hoped the peppers would sweeten upon roasting like garlic does. Guess what? They did! Hooray! Will I make this recipe again? Sweet sassy molassy you bet I will. It's definately not a quick whip me up recipe, so it's going to be a special occasion sort of thing. When I make this again I'll use 2 avacados, more lime and garlic. I think a bit of chopped roma tomato would be a good addition too. I think adding tomato makes it more of a salsa than a guacamole, but I don't think there is any shame in that!

Quaker Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (The good recipe)
1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 6 tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
3 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 cup raisins

Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat butter and sugars on medium speed of electric mixer til creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Add oats and raisins; mix well. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8-10 min til light golden brown. Cool 1 min on sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.


Roasted garlic, poblano and red pepper guacamole from Ezra Pound Cake
6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1 medium red bell pepper
1 medium poblano pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 ripe peeled avocado, seeded and coarsely mashed

Preheat oven to 450F. Wrap garlic cloves in foil. Bake 15 min til soft. Let cool lightly; remove skins. Place garlic in a medium bowl; mash with a fork. Preheat broiler. Cut peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 15 min til blackened, turning frequently. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 min. Peel and finely chop. Add peppers, onions, and next 4 ingredients (through avocado) to mashed garlic; stir well.

STORING: Press plastic wrap against surface of guacamole to keep it from oxidizing and turning brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!