Thursday, January 14, 2010

Blueberry Wild Rice Muffins

When I brought up this recipe to Mrblocko he turned up his nose and looked at me like I had four heads. Blueberries and wild rice...in a muffin. Then I brought up that I found this recipe on the Byerlys website. His response was, "OK, well if Byerlys came up with it, lets give a try."I was extremely nervous about how this combination would taste. I was pleasantly surprised. The wild rice added a bit of a crunch, while the blueberries had just the right amount of sweetness.

The muffins were the best the first day. The second day the wild rice started to dry out and got a bit chewy. By the third day the muffins were past their prime. The blueberries made the muffins soggy, so the last 2 muffins met their end in the garbage can.

I thought this was a great way to use up extra wild rice. The next time I make wild rice and have extra floating around, I'll whip up another batch of these muffins. There are a few things I'd like to do differently though.

First, I would have liked to use wild blueberries. I'm not a big fan of the big blueberries in the muffins. I'd rather have little blueberries dispersed through the whole muffin instead of a big random burst of blueberry here and there. (Of course Mrblocko has to be difficult. He says he prefers the large berries.) I'll also make sure that I have muffin cup liners. As the blueberries cooked and caramelized, they stuck to the pan and made them difficult to remove. The cleanup was also a pain in the butt. Other than these 2 small things, I will make the recipe as is.

Check out the recipe here: blueberry and wild rice muffins from Byerly's
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted, cooled
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 cup unsweetened frozen blueberries
1 cup cooked wild rice

Grease a 12-cup muffin pan or line with paper baking cups. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, coriander and salt in large bowl. In small bowl, whisk together margarine, eggs and milk. Coat blueberries with 1 tablespoon dry ingredients. Stir liquid ingredients into dry ingredients only until blended. Fold in blueberries and wild rice. Spoon into prepared muffin cups. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven until test done with wooden pick (20-25 minutes). Let stand on wire rack 5 minutes; remove muffins from pan. Serve warm. Amount: 12 muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!