Monday, March 8, 2010

Overnight Waffles

I came across this recipe when I was drooling over the cinnamon roll pancakes at Tasty Kitchen. Tasty Kitchen has a neat feature where it references other recipes (with pictures) below the recipe you're looking at.

Since all waffle pics look pretty much the same, it was the title that intrigued me...overnight waffles. You mix everything but the egg and butter together and let it sit overnight. This was awesome since my brain doesn't function well right after I wake up. I'm always worried that if I make a recipe that requires a lot of measuring in the morning I'll forget something or use the wrong measurement...that and I'm really lazy in the morning.

But adding an egg and butter I'd already measured out the night before, then sitting in front of a waffle iron waiting for the light to click from red to green? Yeah I can handle that in a semi-conscious state.

I'd never made a yeasted waffle before. They turned out very light and airy. Both Mrblocko and Blockette said that this recipe was a keeper. I was a bit put off by the yeasty smell. The yeast smell wasn't very strong, but I have the nose of a bloodhound. I think if I hadn't been standing in front of the uncooked batter for so long I wouldn't have smelled the yeast on the cooked waffles.

Mrblocko pointed out one negative thing about these waffles as he used his last bite of waffle to sop up the last vestiges of syrup on his plate. He said, "These waffles are so light and airy that instead of eating 2, I had to eat 3."

Overnight Waffles from Tasty Kitchen
2 cups All-purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Yeast
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
½ teaspoons Salt
2 cups Milk
½ teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1 whole Large Egg
6 Tablespoons Unsalted Melted Butter

In large bowl, combine flour, yeast, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Whisk in milk and vanilla til blended. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let stand overnight at room temp. In the morning, heat waffle iron. Beat egg and melted butter into batter, which will be quite thin. Spray hot waffle iron with nonstick spray. Add just enough batter to cover cooking surface. Cook waffles til crisp and brown, but not too dark, 2-3 min each.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!