Monday, May 9, 2011

Asiago pork chops

Asiago pork chops...where have you been all my life? Who would have known that the lowly old pork chop could be so sublime with the simple addition of cheese! Jessica from How Sweet it is, that's who.

These chops were so awesome that I had to fight mrblocko for the extra left over pork chop. He won. Now he owes me. Big time. Muhahaha!

Yeah yeah. I've gotten lax on the whole picture taking thing again. I'm going to try to be more on the ball. Just trust me that it was even better tasting than it was looking, and it looked pretty darn tasty.

I used actual corn flakes ground up in the food processor because a box of the cereal was cheaper than the box of preground flakes. And you know that little box of ground cornflakes is a LOT tinier than the generic jumbo boxes of corn flakes. So we had cornflakes for breakfast quite a bit after I made this for dinner. Oh, by "we" I meant me, because no one else in the house will eat cornflakes except for me. (And to that I stick my tongue out at both my husband and daughter.)

I also made my own bread crumbs with left over bread from the freezer and added about a tablespoon of Italian seasoning for flavoring. I hadn't planned on going "totally from scratch." I thought I had bread crumbs in the pantry but I either used them all up, or they were hiding really, really well. It all worked out in the end because the homemade bread crumbs turned out surprisingly declicious. It's not something I'd want to devote my time into making every time I wanted to use bread crumbs, but it's nice to know I can do it in a pinch.

Asiago Breaded Pork Chops from How Sweet it is
4 thin, boneless pork chops
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup milk
1/2 cup Kellogg’s Corn Flakes
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup asiago cheese, grated or crumbled

Preheat oven to 325. Trim fat off of pork chops and tenderize with a fork. Heat skillet on medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. In separate bowls, pour milk into one, then breadcrumbs and corn flakes into other. Dip chop in milk and let soak for about a minute. Dip in bread crumb mixture and coat thoroughly. Add to skillet and let cook on each side for about 3-4 minutes, or until breading is golden brown. Take off heat and add 1 cup chicken stock to skillet. Also add 1/4 cup asiago cheese on top of each chop. Cover and bake at 325 for about 45 minutes. Make sure the chops do not dry out. If the skillet becomes dry, add more chicken stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!