Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Chicken Cornbread Casserole

Dinners have been crazy this school year.  Blockette has a later start time for school, which means a later end time.  Most days we don't walk in the door until 4:00.  We used to eat dinner at 5, but unless we're eating leftovers that just doesn't happen.  It works out though.  Because of the later start time, Blockette doesn't eat lunch until 1:45!  She's not really hungry again until a little before 6. 

I'm glad I don't have to wait until 1:45 to eat lunch!  I'm starving at 11AM!  At least they have a snack time so all the rumbling tummies don't disrupt class.

Blockette may not be hungry by 6, but I sure am.  By the time dinner is on the table I'm gobbling it up, not snapping a photo...so no photo.  I'm working on remedying this!  I promise!

Anyhow, Monday I said I'd write about what I made with the Maple Chili chicken leftovers.  I shredded them up and put them in this Chicken Cornbread Casserole from Betty Crocker.  I adapted the recipe a bit by adding some more veggies.

I'd make this again with leftover chicken.  The leftovers heated up nicely and made for an easy second day meal.

Southern Chicken-Cornbread Casserole  adapted from Betty Crocker
3 cups cubed (1 inch) cooked chicken breast (I used 2 large chicken breasts and shredded them)
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (I omitted since my chicken was already seasoned)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 c low fat sour cream
1 c milk
Salt and pepper to taste
3 green onions, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1c corn fresh or frozen
1c peas fresh or frozen

1.5 c shredded Cheddar cheese (I used mexican blend with jalapenos)

Cornbread Topping 
1 box cornbread mix
1 can (14.75 oz) cream corn
1 egg
2 T butter, melted

Heat oven to 400ºF. Spray 13x9-inch dish w spray. In lg bowl, mix chicken, garlic powder, sour cream and milk. Season well with salt and pepper. Fold green onions and veggies. Spoon mixture evenly into dish.  In medium bowl, combine cornbread mix, corn, egg and butter. Spread evenly over chicken mix. Top w shred cheese. Bake 30-40 min til toothpick comes out clean. Let set up 15 min before serving.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!