Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Morning Glory Oatmeal Cookies

So I don't have a photo for today's recipe, but I do have one of this enormous zucchini from our garden. The zucchini plant overwhelmed the raised garden bed, and this little squash got half hidden in the grass.  When I picked it, I thought it was going to be normal zucchini sized.  Boy was I wrong.

Most of this zucchini was shredded and put into muffins, but I did use some to bake these delicious zucchini carrot oatmeal cookies from Mom on Time Out.  They made a wonderfully moist, but not too moist cookie.  I think they taste just like these morning glory muffins I made back in July of last year, except the muffins have apples instead of zucchini!

I'd definitely make these cookies again next zucchini season.  The dough froze very well uncooked.  I love doing this for baking in the summer.  That way you only have to have the oven on for 15-20 min (including preheating) and there aren't a bunch of left over cookies calling your name throughout the week.

Morning Glory Cookies from Mom on Time Out
1 c old fashioned oats
1 c flour
1/2 c wheat flour
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 t vanilla
3/4 c butter, softened
1 c grated zucchini
1/2 c shredded carrot
1/2 c shredded, sweetened, coconut
1/2 c Craisins
2 eggs
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350F. Grate zucchini and squeeze out excess water, then grate carrot, let both sit in strainer until ready to use. Beat butter and sugars til fluffy in stand mixer. Add eggs and vanilla til combined. Mix flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in med bowl. Gradually add flour mix to butter/sug mix. Beat on low til well combined. Add oats, zucchini, carrot, coconut, and Craisins. I used a small cookie scoop, about 1 T, to portion out dough.  Place 2" apart on sheet. Bake 10-12 min til just start to turn color. Cool on sheets 5 min before moving to a cooling rack.  To freeze: portion out dough and place on plate or cookie sheet that will fit in your freezer.  They can be close, but not touching.  Leave in freezer until they harden, about 1-2 hrs, then transfer to zip top bag for storage.  Cookies can be baked right from the freezer, but you will need to add an additional 3 min to their bake time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!