Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Stuffed Pepper Hotdish

I'm slowly learning to love peppers.  I'm still not a fan of green peppers, or raw peppers of any kind.  However, red, yellow and orange peppers that have been roasted, that's a different story.  Roasting them really brings out their sweet flavors.  Super yum in my book.
via

Mostly Homemade Mom had this recipe for a Stuffed Pepper Casserole that I thought was high time I gave a try.  Of course, I used roasted red peppers instead of green peppers.  I also added black and pinto beans, just because.  This made an enormous casserole, and the leftovers froze very well.  I'd totally make this recipe again.

Cheesy Stuffed Pepper Casserole serves 10 - 12: from Mostly Homemade Mom
2 c cooked rice
1 lb ground beef (Shredded or ground chicken or turkey also tastes great)
1 T olive oil
2 roasted red peppers, diced
1 large diced onion
29 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
3 (14 oz) cans tomato sauce (I used tomatoes from my garden!)
2 (14 oz) cans corn, drained (I used 2 c frozen corn)
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t fresh ground black pepper
1 can each black and pinto beans (or 1.5c each)
2 c shredded cheddar cheese

Brown gr beef in a large stock pot, drain, remove from pan and set aside. Heat oil in stock pot on med high. Add peppers and onion. Saute 5-10 min. To pot, add tomatoes, sauce, corn, garlic, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 min. Stir in rice and beans. Pour into a 9x13 baking dish. (Mine was too full so I froze the remainder in a 8x8 dish.) Top with shredded cheese. Bake 350 for 12-15 min til cheese melts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!