Monday, November 25, 2013

Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Cookies

A while ago I had the intention of posting a chocolate chip cookie recipe that I had tested once a month.  We became overwhelmed with cookies, so that thought became a bit impractical.

 If I make cookies and bake up the entire batch, the cookies will be gone in a few days.  We all decided as a family that was not the healthiest thing for us.  Now, instead of baking up the entire batch, I bake up one cookie sheet and freeze the rest of the dough.  I think I've mentioned that before.  Not only is it portion control, but it makes for quick preparation when we want a tasty treat.

These whole wheat chocolate chip cookies from Baked Bree cook up great from the freezer.  I think even better than they were when I baked them initially.  As usual, when baking cookies from frozen dough, you'll need to add a few minutes to your bake time.


The whole family liked the flavor twist that the peanut butter chips added.  If you don't (or can't) have peanut butter chips, I think butterscotch chips would be an excellent replacement.  I liked the slightly nutty flavor that the whole wheat flour imparted.  I also like that I can pretend they are healthy.

This recipe goes in the make again pile for sure.

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies from Baked Bree
1 c butter, room temp
1 c sugar
1 c br sugar
2 eggs
2 t vanilla
2 c whole wheat flour
2 c old fashioned oats
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 c chips (I used a combination of semisweet, milk, and peanut butter chips)

Cream butter and sugars til lt and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. In separate bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mix to butter mix. Add chips. Line baking sheet w parchment. Scoop dough leaving 2 " between cookies. Bake 350F for 11-13 min. (or15 to 17 min if using a big scoop.) Cool on a cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!