Monday, November 4, 2013

Whole Wheat Tortillas

Whole wheat tortillas have been my obsession as of late.  I find them super tasty for some reason.  Even more tasty than white flour tortillas.  I love me some carbs.  (Let me tell you, when I had to take a test to see if I had celiac disease a few years ago I sang from the roof tops when the test came back all clear.)

I had made homemade tortillas in the past, but only with all purpose or unbleached flour.  Fresh homemade tortillas are a kajillion bazillion times better than the stuff you can buy at the grocery store.  That is a scientific fact.

I've attempted to make a direct swap with whole wheat in the past, and it didn't work out so well.  Whole wheat is tricky because, in my opinion, it acts like a little sponge and soaks up all the moisture.  If you don't have the right liquid to flour ratio, your resulting product can end up dry and crumbly.  Bleck.

As luck would have it I stumbled across this recipe from Handle the Heat for Whole Wheat Tortillas.  Hot damn.  These tortillas are the bomb. 

The tortillas are not dry or crumbly at all.  They have this lovely almost nutty flavor to them when they get toasted on the griddle.

Too bad no one else in my family knows this.  I made a batch one Monday morning and had quesadillas for lunch every day.  Yeah.  I ate the whole batch by my onsies.  I have no shame.

Whole Wheat Tortillas from Handle The Heat : Makes 10 tortillas
2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 t salt
3 T veg oil
2/3 c warm water

Combine flour and salt in med bowl. Add oil and warm water.  The dough should be soft.  Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 20 min.  Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface, knead a few times, and pat into disk. Cut into 10 pieces, and roll each piece into ball. Cover with plastic wrap for 20 min more. If you are lucky enough to have a tortilla press, use it to flatten each ball. If you’re like me, flatten each ball into a disk and then roll flat on a lightly floured work surface.  Tortillas should be 6-8" across.  On ungreased griddle, on med, heat tortilla on first side for 1 min, then flip and cook for another min.  I find that I have enough time to roll out the next tortilla while the first one is cooking.  Stack the cooked tortillas on a plate covered with a cloth kitchen towel to keep them warm.  I've been told the cooked tortillas last 1 week in the fridge, or frozen in an airtight container for up to 2 months.  My tortillas never last that long though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!