Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Dr.Pepper Chili

Whoa...has it been nearly a month since I blogged?  It was a much needed break.  Every year I let the pre Christmas planning drive me bonkers.  I try to do everything.  Well that never works!  No matter how much I do, there's always one more thing to be done.  I've decided that I'm only going to do the bare minimum which includes putting the tree up, shopping and wrapping presents, and baking our four favorite Christmas cookies. 

Notice Blogging was not on that list.

While I enjoy blogging, it was nice not stressing over what to write.  I was able to fully enjoy the time I had off work and the time I had alone with Blockette. 

Today was her first day back due to the wind and cold.  The lucky duck wound up with an 18 day long break!  I miss her already and school's only been on for a few hours.  So to keep my mind off the missing kookie doodlebug, let's get to talking about Dr. Pepper Chili

Dr Pepper Chili? 

Yeah.  It's just what the Dr. ordered on a chilly day.  (See what I did there.  Feel free to groan.)


Mrblocko thought the concept sounded peculiar, but it wound up being delicious.  The sweet from the cola and the spicy from the chipotle were a rockin flavor pairing.

My tweaks to this recipe were using a half pound of ground beef, and 1 1/2 cups each of black and pinto beans.  I also added 1 1/2 cups of frozen corn as well.  Finally, I used the last 36 oz of pureed tomatoes I harvested and froze from the garden.  I used the pureed tomatoes in place of the 28oz of whole peeled tomatoes and 8 oz of tomato sauce.   

While Chicken Chili is still my all time favorite, the Dr Pepper Chili from No. 2 Pencil was a nice change of pace.  It's nice to mix things up every once and a while so you don't get into a food rut. 

Dr Pepper Chili adapted from No.2 Pencil serves 4-6
2 T olive oil
1 med onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 t kosher salt
2 t chili powder
2 chipotle chile en adobo chopped,t
1/2-1 lb gr beef
1 can of Dr Pepper (about 12 oz)
28 oz whole peeled tomatoes
8 oz tomato sauce (or use a total of 36 oz pureed tomatoes instead of whole tomatoes and sauce)
14.5 oz diced fire-roasted tomatoes
1 1/2 c frozen corn
1 1/2 c pinto beans
1 1/2 c black beans

Saute onion and garlic in oil, just until they start to soften. Add salt, chili powder, and chipotles.  Stir til combined 2 min over med  heat. Brown meat, and deglaze pan with soda. Reduce liquid to half over med heat. Crush whole peeled tomatoes if using. Add all tomatoes, and their juices to the pan and simmer 30 min til thickened. Add corn and beans during last 5 min to heat through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!