Thursday, July 14, 2011

'11 Happy Dance # 12: Pioneer Sun Bonnet

This week was Vacation Bible School at our church, with the theme of The Wild West. Wednesday, was dress up in your favorite pioneer or wild west attire day. Blockette was concerned she didn't have anything to wear. HA!

I knew we had the perfect dress lurking in the back of her closet.  Hey mom!  Recognize that dress?  Yeah, it used to be mine!  Shortly after Blockette was born, my mom gave me several outfits that were mine as a child.  This dress was among those clothes.  You gotta love that late seventies prairie style. 
I showed Blockette the dress and she was over the moon. I was thrilled that she was thrilled. At least I was until she asked, "Can you make me a sun bonnet, just like Laura (Ingalls Wilder)'s?"

Hmm. I had no idea if I could or not. A bonnet couldn't be THAT hard. Could it? Well the internet sure is my friend because I found the easiest sun bonnet tutorial from Given Moments.  Even I, the slowest sewer on the planet, was able to whip it up in no time at all.

I pulled out several calico fabrics from my fabric stash.  Blocketted picked this purple floral fabric my best friend had passed on to me.  (She doesn't quilt so she gives me her fabric that is less than a yard.)  I was going to steer Blockette towards something blue to match her dress, but I think the purple fabric wound up looking better that what I would have chosen myself. 
Apparently, Blockette was the only girl who dressed up like a pioneer. Everyone else just wore bandanas and cowboy hats. I thought she might be embarrassed that she was dressed differently. Nope. She was happy that she was the only one dressed like a pioneer.  Now if I can only figure out a way for her to keep that mentality that it's OK to be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!