Saturday, July 30, 2011

Maple Cornmeal Drop Biscuts


I made these little maple cornmeal drop biscuts from a little something...sweet one day because I was looking for something different to serve on the side with dinner.  They were really quick and easy to whip up, nothing at all like a traditional flaky biscuit. 

These are a drop biscuit.  No rolling or cutting or any of that such nonsense.  It is definitely beneficial to use a scooper to portion out the dough.  I suppose you could use a spoon, but it would hurt more...I mean be more fussy.

The biscuits were quite tasty, sort of like a funky shaped corn muffin. I used coarse cornmeal and that made them a bit grainy.  The next time I make these I'll use the regular fine ground cornmeal.  I didn't particularly care for the gritty texture that the stone ground cornmeal lent to the bread.  No one else seemed to mind it though, so I was probably being overly particular.

Also, I was surprised that even though I used real maple syrup, I could only just barely taste a hint of the maple flavor.  Maybe the fake stuff is the way to go for an extra maple-y flavor?  I might just try that next time too.

I made these a while ago so I don't remember what main dish I served them with.  When I make these biscuits again it will be instead of cornbread or corn muffins as a side for chili. Me thinks that will make a tasty pairing.


Dorie's Maple Cornmeal Drop Biscuits from A little something...sweet
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground (I used regular ground cornmeal)
1 TBSP. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
6 TBSP. cold, unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces
1/2 cup cold whole milk (I used 1%)
1/4 cup pure maple syrup

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a bowl. Drop in butter and, using  finger, toss to coat pieces of butter with flour. Quickly, working with fingertips cut and rub butter into dry ingredients til mix pebbly. pea-size pieces, pieces the size of oatmeal flakes and pieces the size of everything in between-and that's just right.

Stir milk and maple syrup together and pour over dry ingredients. Grab a fork and toss and gently turn til ingredients are mostly combined and you've got a very soft dough. Don't worry if the dough doesn't look evenly mixed. Use a tablespoon to scoop 12 mounds of dough onto baking sheet. Bake biscuits 15 min, til are puffed and golden brown (these won't be straight or tall like traditional biscuite).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!