Sunday, July 24, 2011

Chive Blossom Vinegar

I made chive blossom vinegar from A Full Measure of Happiness when my chives were in full bloom earlier in the growing season.  I mean I had the blooms, so why not?
The vinegar turned a real pretty pale pink.  That was kind of cool.

Too bad the chive blossoms come out way after Easter around here.  I wonder if the pink vinegar would make pinker eggs when you color them.  Of course the eggs would probably take on the flavor of the chives.  I don't think that would be popular in this house, so I won't be testing out that theory.

I used the vinegar in one pasta salad recipe, in place of plain vinegar.  I was not impressed.  I thought the chive flavor was weird.  Not exactly bad, but not something I'd care to eat again.

Right now the vinegar is just sitting on a shelf in the kitchen.  I can't bear to toss it, but I don't think I want to use it again.  Plus, I have no idea how long the stuff lasts before it starts to get funky and no good for eating.  I think I'll keep it around for a bit longer and enjoy the pretty color.

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of chive blossom vinegar, I'll bet it looked very pretty!

    I'll bet you could infuse olive oil with chives too! Hmm, I may have found something for me to do!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!