Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Even quicker and easier breadsticks

The Divine breadsticks from My Kitchen Cafe (now renamed Mel's Kitchen cafe) that I wrote about here, are my favorite. I had a bit of difficulty with them at first, but I worked the kinks out. Now that I have a pastry mat, they are even easier to make since they don't stick to my counter. These are some nice and poofy breadsticks. Of course they are nice and poofy, they have yeast in them.

While these breadsticks are easier and quicker to make than other recipes I've encountered, they do require a small amount of advance planning. They take 30 minutes to rise and 20 minutes to bake. So what do you do if it is dinner time, your family is starving, and you forgot to allow those 50 minutes?

Quick and easy breadsticks from Tammy's Recipes to the rescue! The leavening agent in these breadsticks is baking powder, so they don't need time to rise. These were a lifesaver when it was 5:30 and I realized I had not prepared the dough for the breadsticks to accompany our spaghetti dinner. If Blockette had to wait another 50 minutes for dinner, she was going to starve to death. Waste away. I couldn't stand 50 minutes of that drama. 20 minutes was much more palatable.

I made the garlic butter version.
These breadsticks are much quicker and easier than the My kitchen cafe ones, but they are pretty dense. Blockette said she liked these better, but I prefer the lighter fluffier version. The Divine breadsticks are still going to be my breadstick of choice, but it is good to know I have another option if I need to prepare some breadsticks quickly.

Quick and Easy Breadsticks from Tammy's Recipes
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
1 tablespoon oil
3 cups flour (I use part whole wheat, part unbleached)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1-1 1/2 cups milk

Preheat oven to 425 F. Place butter and oil in 9×13 pan and put in oven so butter melts as the oven heats up. Be careful not to let it burn!Stir dry ingredients together, and gradually add milk, stirring until dough forms and leaves sides of bowl. Knead 5-6 times in bowl; place on floured countertop and roll out into 9×13-inch rectangle. Lay dough in pre-heated 9×13-inch pan, atop the melted butter/oil. Cut into 1/2″ strips. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!