Tuesday, December 13, 2011

BBQ Turkey Penne Skillet

I found this recipe for BBQ Chicken and Penne on Real Mom Kitchen.  As I have an over abundance of leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, I used shredded Turkey instead of Chicken.
This meal could not have been easier to whip up.  And it was super speedy as the meat was already cooked.  It only took about 20 minutes.  AWESOME.

Wanna know what's even more awesome?  My family LOVED this.  Yeah!  Even Blockette raved about this dish.   She actually liked the little bit of spicy from the Rotel.  What is up with that?!  Whatever this change is I'll take it.  She even happily ate the leftovers (and there were a LOT of leftovers).  Not a single complaint.  I felt like I was in The Twilight Zone!

Of course Mrblocko had to add hot sauce to his.  If I was making this dish just for him I would have used the HOT version of Rotel. 

I'll definitely make this recipe again!

Barbecue Penne Skillet from Real Mom Kitchen
1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups leftover shredded bbq chicken or Turkey
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained (like Rotel)
1/2 cup diced roasted red pepper
1/2 cup beef broth (I used beef bouillon)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3 chopped green onions (I didn't have any so I omitted this)

Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute. Stir in the meat, tomatoes, roasted red pepper, broth, cumin, pepper and salt; heat through. Drain pasta. Add pasta and cheese to pork mixture. Sprinkle with green onions. Serves 6-8

2 comments:

  1. Made this dish last night with my left over BBQ chicken added extra cheese and some crushed red pepper ....what a hit it was!!!! But side note you list using BBQ chicken or turkey in the ingredients but the prep instructions below this state's to use the "pork" mixture. So is this an original recipe or did you sub the chicken for the pork in this existing recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, i got the recipe from real mom kitchen. The hyperlink was messed up so I fixed that. I also fixed the typo! Thanks for the heads up.

      Delete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!