Friday, February 24, 2012

Cake Batter Krispies

Woah. Does a box of cake mix ever go a long way. Back in September I made cake batter ice cream with Strawberry cake mix.  The ice cream only used up 2/3 c of the cake mix, so in October I made some cake batter pancakes.  The pancakes used another 2/3 c of cake mix.  I still had A LOT of cake mix left, so for Christmas I made Cake batter truffles.  The truffles used a whopping cup of cake mix.  But, man, even after I made those truffles, I still had cake mix left!

Hmmm...what to make with all that leftover strawberry cake mix?  After a few months of pondering, I decided to make Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats.   I saw them first over at How Sweet it Is.  Then I saw a Red Velvet Version over at Runs with Spatulas where she used double the amount of cake mix.  Awesome!

I went ahead and doubled the recipe, as I was making them as a fundraiser for Relay for Life.  This was a wise move because at least 2 other teams were selling scrawny little krispie treats.  I sorta kinda felt sorry for them (the krispie treats and the other teams.)

These bad boys were the kind of Rice Krispie Bar where you almost need to unhinge your jaw to take a bite.  In my book, there really shouldn't be any other kind.
As you can see in the above photo, they are HUGE!  It was Mrblocko's idea to use the can of pop for scale, and he is my lovely hand model.  Didn't he do a great job?  Let's all give him a hearty round of applause.

*crickets*

OK honey, maybe you shouldn't quit your day job.

Anyhow, I have no idea how many sprinkles I used.  We had a large tub of sprinkles left over from Blockette's birthday party, so I just dumped in sprinkles until I thought the treats looked sufficiently sprinkle-y.  I figured you can never have too many sprinkles.

Now you would think that since the Red Velvet cake mix turned the krispie treats a nice bright red, the strawberry cake mix would have turned the treats pink.  Nope.  They only had a slight pinkish tinge.  I supposed I could get a better pink by adding food coloring or using pink marshmellows.  Maybe I will do that for the next Relay for Life bake sale.

As I made a double thick batch of krispie treats, I wound up using a full cup of the strawberry cake mix.  That left me with a running total of 3 1/3c of cake mix used, just from one box. Oh, and there's a still a few tablespoons left.  I haven't decided if I'm going to pitch this tiny remainder of mix, or find something else to use it in.  Anyone have any ideas as to how to use up a few Tablespoons of cake mix?

Super Thick Cake Batter Treats from How Sweet it Is and Runs with Spatulas
6 tablespoons butter or margarine (divided)
2 10-ounce bags of mini marshmallows
2 t vanilla (divided)
1 cup cake mix (divided)
12 cups rice krispies cereal (divided)
sprinkles and more sprinkles

Prepare a 9x13 pan by lining it with wax paper and spraying it well with Cooking Spray.  I like to use the super cheater microwave method.  In a large micro safe bowl, melt 3 T margarine for 30 sec.  Add 1 bag of marshmallows and stir until coated.  Nuke for 30 sec, stir.  If mixture is still lumpy, nuke another 30 sec. At this point you need to work quickly so the marshmallows don't set up. Add 1t vanilla and 1/2c cake mix.  Stir until combined.  Add 6 c krispies and sprinkles of your desired amount.  Stir until krispies are coated and sprinkles are evenly distributed.  Pour/dump into prepared pan.  Press into corners with greased hands, or a sheet of wax paper that has been sprayed really well with cooking spray.  Rinse out the bowl.  (No need to get fancy and use soap.)  Dry the bowl and repeat with your remaining ingredients.  Let the bars set for an hour or two before lifting out and cutting.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! You certainly make cake mix go a long way. I've never tried using cake mix before - you've inspired me to give it a try! Love the added sprinkles and I agree - the more the better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty crazy how many different things I was able to make from just one box. I'm thinking I had some crazy over stuffed fluke of a box. Either that or cake mix gnomes were adding extra mix to the container in the middle of the night. Stranger things have happened!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad these turned out for you! Love the use of strawberry cake mix!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waste not, want not!!! I've never heard of a cake mix going that far!!! How clever and creative are you!!! Sending applause to your husband (LOL) too!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehehe. Thanks! I wouldn't want to lose my hand model because he was underappreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!