Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Mystery Surprise Chocolate Chip Cookies

I mentioned in my Trouble with Halloween post that I was going to wait to make these cookies until Blockette had eaten all her Halloween candy. We were having some difficulties getting her to eat her Tuna Noodle Hotdish. I figured cookies had a higher bribery power than plain candy. Since these cookies had Halloween candy inside them, they were worth their weight in gold to the fussy four year old. She ate her dinner and got her just reward.

I found the recipe for Snicker Surprise cookies on What's Cookin Chicago. They couldn't be easier to make. First, whip up a batch of your favorite chocolate chip cookie dough. Use a small cookie scoop and form all the dough into balls. Take one dough ball and smoosh it flat. Take half a Halloween size candy bar and place it in the middle. Take another dough ball and cover the top of the candy. Smoosh the dough around to form a large dough ball. I stuck mine in the freezer for later consumption. I used them right from the freezer, with no defrosting, and they took about 15 min to bake.

Can I say how much I love having frozen cookie dough in the freezer? No. I can't. There aren't words enough! I don't understand why I didn't do this before??? I can make just enough for "right now" and not have to worry about the leftovers sobbing in the pantry about how they would much rather be in my belly than the cold impersonal pantry. For those of you who don't know, cookies are quiet in the freezer. It's like they are in suspended animation. Sometimes they cry out, but it's really muffled. Maybe we've just got a good seal on the freezer door. All I know is I'm not eating a cookie (or 2 or 3 or 4) every time I go in the kitchen.

I used the Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe for the cookie dough. For half the batter I used regular semi-sweet chips, and the other half I used mini semi-sweet. I was curious as to which version would taste better. The verdict was, that they were both good for different reasons. The mini chip cookies had small bits of chocolate in each bite. Chocolate in each bite is never a bad thing. The regular chip cookies had a stronger chocolaty flavor when you got a chip. You also got to taste the plain dough. All good things. I'll make a half and half batch again so we can get the benefits of both tasty cookie versions.

The cookies in the small batch you see below contained: Milky Way, Twix and Snickers. Further research is needed to be sure which cookie-candy combo was the best. There are still untested mystery cookies with Butterfinger, Crunch and Kit Kat in them. I don't think a verdict can be reached until all versions have been sampled.

A really weird thing happens to some of the cookies while they are baking. See this one?
All the chocolate melted off and pooled at the base of the cookie. You can see the caramel and nougat from the Milky Way peeking out from the top. Nekkid candy bar ain't got no clothes on!!!! Don't worry. I personally put this one out of it's misery. And yes, I did rejoice in the carnage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!