Wednesday, February 19, 2014

A Jello Salad for Jello Haters Like Me

Yeah.  I'm the weirdo who doesn't like Jello.  Yes we exist.  Freaks of nature. 

So if I hate Jello so much, why make a Jello Salad?  Because, in my book Jello is like tomatoes.  Gross on their own because of the texture, but darn right scrumptious when mixed with something else!

The funny thing is that Mrblocko did not like the texture of the salad.  He said there was too many different things going on and it weird-ed him out.  We'll just chalk that up to the fact that the man will eat a tomato raw right out of the garden. Ew.
via

I made this for a big potluck at church, so naturally I forgot to take a picture of it before leaving the house.  It, like many dessert type "salads" is not photogenic.  It was blobby and lumpy.  I wouldn't have had a clue how to make something like that even remotely attractive to eat.  The dish was empty before the night was through so nobody must have cared!

I found the jello salad recipe over at Something Swanky, but I just had to put in some additional goodies!


Jello Salad adapted from Something Swanky
8 oz cottage cheese (low fat is fine) (I used the fatty stuff)
3 oz Jello mix, any flavor (the sugar free mix works fine too) (I used Regular Sugar-y Orange)
8 oz cool whip(lite or sugar free is fine) (I used the extra creamy)
1 c Pecan pieces
8 oz pineapple tidbits, juice drained
8.25 oz mandarin orange slices, drained
1 heaping c mini marshmallows
1 c shredded coconut

In a large bowl, stir cottage cheese with Jell-O powder until mixed well. Fold in Cool Whip.
Gently mix in remaining ingredients.  Chill overnight, or at least 4 hours for flavors to meld.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!