Friday, February 21, 2014

Jalapeno Bagels

Last year Blockette's class read a book called Jalapeno Bagels.  At the end of the discussion period, the teacher brought in jalapeno bagels and cream cheese.  Blockette could not stop talking about how great those bagels were, and "when would I make them?"

I found a great recipe over at Veggie Mama, but the timing was never right.  It was too hot, I didn't have the ingredients, we had too many other bread products in the house, I was lazy, etc.  Over one of the many cancelled school days we had this winter, the universe aligned, and Blockette and I made Jalapeno Bagels.

As neither one of us is all that keen on heat, I erred on the side of caution and used only 1 jalapeno.  I think they would have tasted better with a bit more of a kick to them.  Next time I will use 2 jalapenos.

While I was mixing up the dough, Blockette exclaimed, "Where are the red bits?!  The ones we had at school had red bits."  As luck would have it I had some roasted red peppers in the freezer.  I used 1/4 of a pepper, but I think 1/2 a pepper would have been better.



Jalapeno Bagels adapted from Veggie Mama
1 3/4 c lukewarm water
1 t dried yeast
2 t salt
1 1/2 T sugar
5 c flour
1-2 jalapenos, minced
1/4-1/2 roasted red pepper, diced
:
Mix water, yeast, salt and sugar and let proof for 5 min. Add flour.  When all the flour is combined, add jalapenos and red peppers. Knead for 10 min on low speed, adding more flour if needed until dough is stiff. Let dough rest 10 min, then divide into 12 pieces.  Roll dough pieces into balls and make into "O" shape by sticking your thumb through the middle and gently stretching out the circle.  Alternately you can roll into a snake and overlap the ends to make a ring.  Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 1-1 1/2 hrs. Fill large pot with water and bring to a boil. Place bagels in boiling water until they float to the top – about 20-40 seconds.  Remove bagels to drain on parchment.  Transfer to baking sheet.  Bake at preheated oven at 375 for 30-50 min, or until outside is golden brown.  Let cool before slicing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!