Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Honey Pb Cookies

Blockette and I made these cookies one day when she was bored.  She was complaining she had nothing to do and could we please do something.  I asked her if she wanted to bake something tasty and she was psyched.

I chose this recipe because I had a peanut butter craving and was fortunate enough to have all the ingredients in the pantry!

Blockette did most of the work, except the tough parts where you have to get all the peanut butter out of the measuring cup!

I mixed things up a bit and pressed some of the cookies down with the pokey side of a meat tenderizer mallet.  We did a few the traditional way with the crisscross fork technique.

Blockette liked the fork better because the dough kept sticking to the meat mallet.  I like the look of the meat mallet mashed cookies better.

The cookies themselves were tasty.  I couldn't really taste the honey though.  I think the honey did produce a much smoother peanut butter cookie.  My family really enjoyed them, but I think I prefer the more grainy, crumbly, peanut butter cookies.  

Because these cookies hold together so well, they lend themselves to making cookie sandwiches.  I sandwiched a few with Biscoff and they were divine!  I imagine other flavored spreads like Nutella would be equally scrumptious!

Honey PB Cookies from Brown Eyed Baker
1½ c flour
½ c sugar
¾ t baking soda
½ t baking powder
¼ t salt
½ c creamy peanut butter
½ c honey
¼ c vegetable shortening
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 t vanilla extract
¼ c granulated sugar, in a small bowl, for rolling cookies

Preheat  350F. Line 2 sheets w parchment; set aside. In med bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside. In bowl of electric mixer, cream peanut butter, honey and shortening on medium til lt and fluffy, 3 min. Add egg and vanilla. Mix til combined. Reduce speed to low and grad add dry ingred, til just combined. Give final stir with rubber spatula to ensure all flour incorporated. Use med cookie scoop (about 2 T dough) to scoop out dough and roll in ball.   Roll in sugar and place on prepared sheets about 2"apart. Using fork tines, press a criss-cross pattern into tops of cookies, flattening into disks.(or be crazy like me and use a meat mallet.) Bake 10-12 min til lt gold br. Allow to cool on sheet 5 min, then move to wire rack to cool completely. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temp for up to 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!