Friday, April 4, 2014

St. Louis Style Pizza

I've never been to St. Louis to know if they have a different style pizza, but I thought this recipe from Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice looked really tasty AND easy.

What makes a St Louis style different from your average run of the mill pizza is the thin crust and the types of cheeses.  This type of pizza uses provolone, cheddar and Swiss instead of the traditional mozzarella. 


While I'm not the biggest fan of thin crust pizza I did enjoy this pizza.  It was probably the best thin crust pizza I've ever had. 

The dough was incredibly easy to roll out.  I usually have to fight with pizza dough crust so this is really saying something.  The crust also crisped up nicely.  Sometimes thin crust pizzas get super soggy from the sauce.  The center pieces weren't cracker crisp, but they weren't like wet cardboard either.

I made this on a friday over Lent so we just had a basic cheese pizza.  I think this style of pizza really benefits from that.  Without the distraction of the salty and spicy meats, like sausage and pepperoni, the flavor from the various cheeses really gets a chance to shine.  

This pizza was a big hit with the whole family.  I will definitely make it again.

St Louis Style Pizza from Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice
Crust
2 c bread flour
1T baking powder
1/2 t salt
2 T EVOO
1/2 c water

2/3c pasta sauce (I just eyeballed the sauce for each pizza)
1c shredded white cheddar (I used a 3 cheddar blend)
1/2 c shredded provolone (I had 4 round slices that I snipped with cooking sheers)
1/2 c shredded swiss
pizza seasoning (I used Penzeys Frozen Pizza Seasoning)
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 425F.  Cover 2 large baking sheets with parchment or silpat.  Spray the parchment.

Mix the crust ingredients.  Separate into 2 round disks.  Cover them and let them rest 10 min.  This will make them much easier to work with.  Roll very thin (1/8") between 2 sheets of sprayed parchment paper. (I used the sheets I was going to bake the pizzas on.)  Top each pizza with sauce, seasoning and cheese.  Bake for 9-12 min until cheese is golden and melty.  Let sit 5 min before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!