Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Vegan Beet Brownies with Frosting

When I made this Fauxberry Pie I was left with about 3/4 c of canned beets that I had no idea what to do with. It was harder than you'd think to find a recipe that I thought my family would actually eat. These Brownies from Eggless Cooking seemed like a good match.

The original recipe calls for 1 c of pureed beets and 1/4 c applesauce.  I just messed around the beet and applesauce ratios so I had a total of 1 1/4c pureed fruit and veggies.


These brownies are so sweet that there is no way you could even taste the slightest hint of beet.  I made sure of that by adding frosting to it.  I used the frosting recipe from Penzey's Vegan Cake recipe.  It's pretty much chocolate crack for vegans and the lactose intolerant.  Because that recipe is for frosting a 9x13 cake and this cake is only 8x8 you get loads of fudgy frosting goodness.

Beet and oat brownies with Fudgy Frosting adapted from Madhuram's Eggless Cooking
3 oz Semisweet Chocolate chips
3/4 c Beet Puree
1/2 c Dk Brown Sugar
1/4 c Cocoa
2 T Margarine
2 t Vanilla
1/2 c Cinnamon Applesauce
3/4 c Oat Flour (I took 3/4 instant oats and processed them to a fine powder)
3/4 t Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 c coarse chopped Walnuts
additional 1/2 c semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F. Line 8x8" pan w foil and spray w pam. Melt 3 oz chocolate in microwave at 30 sec intervals, stirring after each time.  This took about 1 min for me. Add beet, sugar, cocoa, margarine, vanilla and applesauce. Stir til creamy.Add oat flour, baking powder, chopped walnuts, salt and unmelted choc chips. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 35-40 min.  Brownies should spring back when touched.  Make frosting.

Frosting
4 T oil
4 T water
6 T sifted COCOA POWDER
2 C sifted powdered sugar

In a small pot, boil water and oil.  It may not come to a rolling boil, but bubbles will appear. Remove from heat. Add cocoa and sugar. Beat until smooth. Pour over cake, spreading icing to the edges, and let it cool. The frosting may stick to the knife when cutting the cake, so dip the knife in warm water and wipe clean after each cut. Store cake in fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!