Friday, September 2, 2011

August Reads

1. The Dead Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan.  This is the sequel to the Forest of Hands and Teeth, that I read last month.  This book was not as good as the first, but I'm a sucker for sequels. There was an interesting concept of immunity to the zombie virus.  Why not.  Not everyone gets the flu, so why would everyone get zombified?  There is a third book in this series that I'm sort of interested to read, but they don't have it at my library.  I wasn't jazzed enough in the second book to request that they get the book, or attempt to get it on inter library loan.

2. Searching for Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede.  This is the second book in the Enchanted Forest Chronicles.  This was another case of the sequel not being as good as the first.  I enjoyed this sequel better than I did the one from the series I mentioned above.  I liked that the main character in the first book was independent and in this one she falls in love.  It seems out of character, and now if she is married she isn't going to be living with dragons anymore.  I thought that was one of the best parts of the story.  This series has 2 other books which I may or may not read.  This book has not made me want to rush out to the library to read it as well.

3. Ghost Story by Jim Butcher,  What is up August reads? Why are you just so blah?  I love Jim Butcher, especially the Dresden Files series, but this book was soooo slow.  Even Mrblocko thought that it took a good halfway into the novel for the story to pick up.  Very much out of character for this author. Usually I'm 2 pages into the book and I just can't put it down.  I finished this book the day before it was due.  Which, if you know how I read is really saying something.  I wanted to renew the book, but as there were 9 holds on the book, I couldn't.  Do you have any idea how long it would have been for me to get this book again if there were 9 holds on it.  So I kicked the reading into turbo and finished just in time.  I know there is going to be another book in the Dresden Files series which seems like it will be better than this one.  Hopefully this series/author isn't running out of steam.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, still on The Knight of the Sacred Lake. Let's hope I get it read in September ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you will, you'll have lots of time to read when you have your weekend in Chicago!! Woot woot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did it! Not only did I read the book that was tripping me up, but got the third book on the nook and whizzed through that in less than a week! I IS SMRT!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woot woot! It prob helped that the 3rd book wasn't like wading through mud like the 2nd one.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!