Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Marinaded Dogs

I saw this recipe for marinaded grilled hot dogs from Good. Food. Stories. and thought it would be fun to try out.  I let the dogs swim in the ketchup-y based marinade for a whole day.  Mrblocko thought I was weird, marinading a hot dog.  I said, "Just humor me.  If it doesn't turn out, it doesn't turn out."

So what was the verdict?  Aside from getting some nice charred bits, there was absolutely no difference in flavor.  It was a fun experiment, but I see no need to repeat it.  Since the dogs tasted exactly the same as the un-marinaded variety, I felt the need to top the dog with my usual grilled onion, dill relish, mustard and yes...ketchup, which apparently is a class 1 felony in Chicago. 

Grilled Hot Dogs from Good. Food. Stories.
1/2 cup Heinz ketchup
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 splash sesame chili oil
1 splash worcestershire sauce
1 dozen hot dogs

In a casserole dish or other shallow pan, whisk together the ketchup, soy sauce, vinegar, oil, and worcestershire sauce. Score the hot dog by making three rows of angled cuts down each hot dog with a sharp paring knife—you’ll get about 7 or 8 cuts per row. Roll the hot dogs in the ketchup marinade until they’re completely coated. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight. When you’re ready, preheat a gas or charcoal grill, and toss those puppies on to grill them up right. Serve with condiments of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!