Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Peanut Butter Banana Bread...Now with Toffee

If you are a regular reader of this blog you know my relationship with bananas.  Yeah, they aren't my best buddy.  But, my family loves bananas and I am forced to co-exist with those varmints. (The bananas, not my family.  Well, I'm forced to live with them too, but that's a whole 'nuther ball o' wax.)  Sometimes, as much as they like bananas, they don't eat them before they get brown, so I wind up with random bananas in my freezer. 

The banana situation had  gotten a bit out of control, so I took matters into my own hands and made this Peanut butter Banana bread.  I found this recipe in Penzeys Spices back to school catalog. The recipe was submitted by Meredith Wittmann.
I was concerned that this bread was burning while it was cooking.  The edges got so super dark, while a toothpick tester in the center was still coming out gooey.  I had to cook this loaf for 75 min.  The dark edges?  They were surprisingly tasty, and not burnt at all.  The dark color of the bread may or may not have been from my use of toffee chips. 

Why toffee chips?  I had them in the pantry and was sick of looking at them as well.  The bag had been partially used for Blockette's cake LAST year!  Time to use those bad boys up.  I didn't measure how much I used, so if you are going add toffee chips, use 1/2 to 3/4 of a bag.  I think cinnamon, chocolate, or even peanut butter chips would make a good addition too.

Even I, banana hater extraordinaire, loved this bread.  Cause, guess what?  There was only a whisper of a taste of banana.  So if you love stinky banana-y banana bread, this is not the recipe for you.  Oh, go ahead and make it, you'll love it anyway.

Peanut Butter Banana Bread
3 ripe bananas, sliced (mine were frozen, so I defrosted and mashed them)
2 eggs
1/2 c vanilla yogurt (I used light and fit)
1/2 c peanut butter(I used creamy, but I bet chunky would taste just as yummy.)
3 T melted butter
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c ground flax seed (You can leave this out, but it adds a light nutty flavor and it's good for you too so you should just put it in anyways.)
1/4 t baking soda
1/2 t cinnamon (mine was heaping)
1 t Penzey's baking spice (I used 1/4 t nutmeg, 1/8 t cloves and heaping 1/2 t ginger)
1 1/2 c flour
Whatever amount of toffee chips/bits o brickle you have left in your bag (1/2 c -1 c)

Preheat oven to 350. Coat a 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray or butter.  In a large bowl combine bananas, eggs, yogurt, peanut butter, and melted butter.  Beat on medium speed until well blended.  Add sugars.  Beat til blended.  Add flax, baking soda, and spices.  Blend on low speed.  Mix in flour until combined as well.  Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 65-75 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes before turning out of pan onto a rack to cool completely.

2 comments:

  1. I'm imagining the sent in your home as you baked this - I'll bet it was heavenly! I'll have my slice with a cup of tea please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was very nice. Not a bit banana-y smelling either!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!