Monday, January 9, 2012

Breakfast Sandwich Casserole

I had really high hopes for this breakfast sandwich casserole from Sisters' Stuff. A make-it-the-night-before breakfast casserole...that's like an egg sandwich, and all I have to do in the morning is stick it in the oven? Yeah, how could that not be awesome? I guess I built it up in my mind too much as the end result was a bit of a let down.

Not that it wasn't good. It was. I just had it in my brain that it was going to be this awesome uber breakfast. My loving husband told me that it was just fine that the breakfast wasn't "Awesome" and that it was OK for food to just be OK. Then he went on to tell me that I can't be like Wolfgang Puck all the time. That made me chuckle, 'cause what he doesn't realize is that I don't even care for Wolfgang Puck all that much. (Unless it's pastry, cheese, chocolate or bread...French cuisine is not my thang.)

I think the biggest bummer of this dish, aside from the fact that it stuck to the pan like nobody's business, was that the bread on the bottom was soggy. I hates me some soggy bread. It's like eating a wet sponge.  (Not that I've ever eaten a wet sponge before, only dry ones.)
See all those sticky bits.  Ugh what a pain to clean...that's why Mrblocko is in charge of the dishes!
The leftovers were surprisingly less soggy than the ones freshly cooked.  To reheat the leftover sandwiches I placed them "soggy" side up on a cookie sheet and stuck them in the oven as it was preheating to 350F.  Once the oven got up to 350F,  I cooked them for another 10 min.  I think this, along with sitting in the fridge for 24 hours, drew a lot of the moisture out of the sandwiches.

Breakfast Casserole from Sisters Stuff (My changes are in blue.)
12 slices of bread (Texas toast would be best.  Might eliminate some of that soggy bread on the bottom that you get with regular sandwich bread.)
18 oz of grated cheese (I only used about 8oz of cheese and it was plenty cheesy)
1 pound of your favorite meat (I used half a package of  bacon that had been fried up ahead of time and diced ham.  I have no idea if it was a pound of meat.  Probably closer to 3/4 of a pound.)
Veggies (I used 3 medium onions that had been caramelized along with 3 cloves of minced garlic.)
8-10 Eggs (I used 10 eggs, they probably could have used a splash of milk along with them)
I also added a few dashes of hot sauce in the egg mixture.  Some mustard would be good too.
Salt and Pepper
Butter

Generously, butter all slices of bread. (I don't think I slathered on enough butter.) Place 6 slices of bread, buttered side down. Then top with grated cheese, meat and veggies. Then place the other 6 slices of bread, buttered side up on the top. Beat 8-10 eggs in a bowl, with salt and pepper. Pour the eggs over the whole casserole...make sure to get all the bread covered with eggs. Cover the pan in foil and refrigerate over night. Bake at 350 for 1 hour with the foil on, then 30 min without.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!