Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Baby Bundt Fail

Oh how I wanted these little baby bundts to turn out. It seems like I'm either hit or miss with bundts.  When they turn out, they are something spectacular.  My successful bundt posts have even gotten the most traffic on my blog.  Unfortunately, these pumpkin spice pudding bundts from Nutmeg Nanny fell into that "miss" category. 

These mini bundts are made from are a very simple cheater cake recipe that uses cake and pudding mixes.  Sounds pretty righteous eh?  It should have been.  I mixed up all the batter and put it into my mini bund pan.
Everything is looking fine right?  Mini bundts filled 3/4 to the top.  But wait!  The recipe says that it should yield 12 mini bundts.  Uh oh.  The Nutmeg Nanny must have a different size bundt pan than I do.

No problem though.  Right?  So I'll just cook these little guys for a bit longer than the recipe says.  And sure enough, after 25 minutes, a toothpick came out clean.  So out of the oven they came.

Here's where a picture would have been great.  I thought I'd taken one, but alas.  The little bundts came out of the oven domed over the top of the pan. Woah.  They mega rose!  Maybe I filled them up too much.  But wait, as you can see in the above picture, I filled them 3/4 full.

The recipe didn't say that they needed to cool in the pan for any specified time, so after about 5 minutes I began to freak that they might decide to stick to the pan. I turned these little cakes out onto a cooling rack like I would any muffin or cake.  Ten minutes later I had this:
Wha'happen?!!!!

Nice little cakie cake went splat.
Here's a slightly better picture with my hand for scale (and my daughter photobombing in the corner.)

I wish I knew what I did wrong.

How did they taste?  Meh.  I made a cinnamon glaze for them and it never set up.  (Maybe dessert was just doomed the day I made this.)  I think the runny cinnamon glaze was probably the best part. 

As I am my own worst critic, I hated them.  Mrblocko said it was good, just not his favorite dessert ever, and that I make lots of other things he likes better.  I'm pretty sure he was just being nice.  Now Blockette?  She thought this was the best dessert ever on the planet/history of time.  At least someone was over the moon about them!

Pumpkin Pudding Bundt from Nutmeg Nanny
1  Jiffy yellow cake mix (9oz.)
1 Jello Pumpkin Spice instant pudding mix (3.4oz.)
1/3 C. vegetable oil
1/2 C. water
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 F. In bowl add dry ingredients. Whisk together. Add rest of ingredients and mix until combined. Generously spray your mini-tube pan. Fill each cup and bake for 15 – 20 min until done.

1 comment:

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!