Monday, March 19, 2012

Greek Pastitsio

I remember, with great fondness, my mom making Pastitsio when I was a wee lass. It was this special treat, usually reserved for the rare occasions when we had company.  This was because it made a metric ton and took forever.  A double bummer as Pastitsio was probably my favorite meal in my mom's dinner repertoire. Oh so you know I was jazzed when I happened across this recipe for Greek Pastitsio Over at the Goofy Mama's blog.
This looked super easy and it seemed to have a lot of the flavors I remembered from my mom's dish.  It wasn't quite the same, but close enough.  I didn't have my mom's Pastitsio recipe for comparison when I made this dish, but I've since asked her for it.  My mom's version has almost half the pasta and loads more bachemel sauce.  I did find that I missed that thick poofy white layer on the top, but not enough to do all the extra work. 

The next time I make this I think I will just double the white sauce recipe, add more feta, and add some thyme.  I think that will make it a bit more like the version my mom made, without the fuss.

Below I've included both recipes, the one from Goofy Mama, and the one my mom made so you can compare.

Greek Pastitsio from Goofy Mama
16 oz elbow macaroni
1 lb ground beef
26 oz spaghetti sauce
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground fennel seeds
1 cup white sauce (heat 1 cup milk, 1 tsp butter, and 3 T flour until it thickens)
4 eggs
1/4 cup feta cheese
1 tsp nutmeg

Cook beef. Add spaghetti sauce, cinnamon, and fennel. Make the white sauce. Stir 1/2 of the white sauce into eggs, then return to the pot and add the feta and the nutmeg. Layer 1/2 pasta, all of the meat, 1/2 pasta, all of the white sauce.Bake at 350 F for 35 min.

Mom's PASTITSIO (Page 285, Better Homes and Gardens, Heritage Cook Book 1975)
1-1/2 pounds ground beef
4 slightly beaten egg whites
1 cup chopped onion
½ cup cubed feta 
1 16-ounce can tomatoes, cut up
½ cup butter or margarine
1 16-ounce can tomato paste
2 tsp salt, divided
½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 7-ounce package elbow macaroni
4 cups milk
4 slightly beaten egg yolks
hot sauce

In skillet cook beef and onion till meat is browned; drain off excess fat. Add undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme, and 1 t salt. Simmer, covered for 30 min, stirring often. Meanwhile, cook macaroni according to package directions; drain well. Stir in egg whites and cheese into macaroni; stir in meat mixture. Turn into 13 x 9" pan.  In large saucepan melt butter. Blend in flour, cinnamon and 1 t salt. Add milk all at once.  Cook, stirring constantly, till thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat.

Gradually stir some hot sauce into egg yolks; blend well. Return yolk mixture to remaining sauce, stirring rapidly. Pour atop meat mixture. Sprinkle lightly with additional cinnamon, if desired.
Bake at 375F until heated through, 35-40 min. Let stand 10 min before serving.

4 comments:

  1. I'm bookmarking this and making your moms. I had a friend growing up that was all Greek and her mom made the best pastitsio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure why my mom made this growing up. We never knew anyone Greek. Or at least if they were Greek, I had no idea.

    My husband and I lived next to an older Greek couple when we lived in our first house. On a nice spring day the most wonderful smells from her kitchen would waft into our house. I always wanted to go over there and ask her what she was making, but I was too shy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm intrigued by your mom's version as well. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking over old posts, trying to figure out what to make for dinner and this one made me giggle. "hot sauce" is listed as an ingredient. I'm not sure if it was me who added that ingredient, or if my mom did. I'm certain it does not mean to add Tabasco sauce, but to add some of the sauce that was hot in order to prevent the egg from curdling. Goes to show how clueless I was in the kitchen 5 yrs ago.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!