Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Apple Butter Pie

This was the other pie I made for Easter dinner. Doesn't it look just like a pumpkin pie? The base is made from apple butter. I am not the biggest fan of apple butter, but Mrblocko loves it. I made this pie with him in mind.

The apple butter pie recipe comes from the blog Baking Bites. Usually recipes I find on there are a huge success. This one, not so much. I think this due to two things. First, it looks so much like pumpkin pie, I kept expecting that flavor. I think my taste buds were disappointed. The second problem was that I made this pie the day before. The crust got super soggy and gummy. This is definitely a pie you make and eat on the same day.
Mrblocko said there are other things he likes much better and that I should pass on making this particular pie again. I was very surprised to hear that considering his regard for apple butter. Even more surprising was Blockette's reaction to the pie. She loved it! She wanted seconds and begged me to make the pie again. If I make this pie again, I'll make it in a mini pie size just for her.

Apple Butter Pie from Baking Bites
1 9-inch pie crust (vanilla crust recipe below)
1 16-oz jar apple butter
1 12-oz can evaporated milk
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and whiz until very smooth. Pour into prepared pie crust. Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until center is mostly set (jiggles slightly when nudged) and a sharp knife inserted near the center comes out mostly clean. Cool to room temperature before slicing and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or overnight, before serving. Serves 8-10


Vanilla Wafer Crumb Crust
1 1/4 cups vanilla wafer cookie crumbs
6 tbsp butter, melted and cooled

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine ingredients and stir well until mixture resembles wet sand. Pour into 9-inch pie shell and press into a firm, even layer over the base and sides. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until browned. Cool completely before using. Makes 1 crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!