Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Crab Rangoon Dip

What can I say, I've never met a crab rangoon I didn't like. What's there not to like? Crabby goodness paired with cream cheese, balanced with the crunch of the deep fried wonton skin. Do appetizers get any better than that? No. No they do not. If you think they do then you are wrong. Oh so very wrong.

Naturally, feeling the way I do about crab rangoon, when I saw the Hungry Mouse's recipe for crab rangoon dip, I thought it would rock my little world.

Do not make this dip. Whatever you do, stay away. Just say no. Remember you have been warned. Should you fail to heed these warnings you are going to be sorry. So sorry, that the next day your pants will be tight cause you and two of your friends ate the whole thing.

One of my friends told me that I could never make it again. Of course I am so evil that I am going to make it ALL THE TIME! (insert lightning, thunder clap and evil maniacal laughter here.)

The recipe said to used canned or fresh crab meat. I used a package and a half of imitation crab meat. I live in the Midwest and even canned crab meat is kind of pricey. The fake stuff tasted awesome so I'm giving you permission to use it, that is if you are foolish enough to not heed my warnings!!! Just make sure you chop the meat up. Big chunks of crab would not be conducive to dipping.

I served this dip with carrots, celery, pita chips and tortilla chips. I had to keep testing over and over to find out which combination I liked best. The results were inconclusive, and I need to make another batch..for scientific purposes. (Yay science!) The original recipe says you can use the dip as a filling for actual crab rangoons, or serve the dip over rice as a meal. Those both seem like too much work for how lazy I've been lately. I'd rather just shovel the dip into my mouth and get instant gratification.

Crab Rangoon Dip from the Hungry Mouse
13 oz. fresh crab meat (or canned, well drained)
16 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 Tbls. chopped scallions or chives
2 Tbls. heavy cream
1 Tbls. horseradish
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground white pepper
hot sauce, to taste

Preheat oven to 375F. Butter an oven-proof dish (a 9" pie plate works well) and set aside. Blend all ingredients together and spoon into greased pan. Bake for 20 min.
There are a couple ways you can serve this: over rice, as a main course; or with crackers or bread as a hot appetizer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!