Monday, April 12, 2010

Peaches 'N' Cream Pie


This recipe for peaches and cream pie was swiped from allrecipes.com. It was one of 2 pies I made for Easter dinner. Wow, was it ever good!

I used some of those raspberry flavored canned peaches. (They are my favorite canned fruit.) Sadly, I couldn't taste any of the raspberry flavor. I'm sure the peach flavor of the jello overpowered the light raspberry taste of the canned peaches. Next time, I'll just use the plain peaches in the pie and save the flavored ones for every day eating.

The recipe was a bit confusing when it came to the crust. When a recipe says crush 18 cinnamon graham crackers, do they mean 18 sheets or 18 squares? I figured they meant sheets. Nope! At the 12th sheet, I realized that there was a lot of graham cracker crumbs. It turned out ok though. I only had a 10 inch pie plate, so the extra crust was not a bad thing.

I forgot to check the comment section on allrecipes.com before making the pie. A few people said that the pie tasted better if you used milk instead of water. I'll try that out next time. I imagine it would make the filling taste a bit creamier. I do think that it might make the filling more opaque. I'd hate to hide the pretty peach slices. Further testing and experimenting will be needed. num num!

A few people at the Easter dinner said they thought this would be a great pie for summer or picnics. I agree, but I won't be bringing this to any summer family gatherings. I imagine the pie filling would melt in the summer heat of an hour plus car ride!

Peaches and Cream Pie from Allrecipes
18 cinnamon graham crackers
1/8 cup white sugar
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (3 ounce) package peach flavored gelatin mix
1 (3 ounce) package non-instant vanilla pudding mix
1 1/4 cups water
1 (16 ounce) can sliced cling peaches, drained

Place graham crackers in a plastic bag, and seal. Using a rolling pin or a hammer, crush into fine crumbs. Combine crumbs and sugar. Stir in melted butter or margarine. Press mixture over bottom and up sides of a 9" pie pan. Bake at 375F for 6-9 min, or until edges are brown. Beat cream cheese and sugar in a med bowl til well mixed. Stir in whipped topping. Spread mix evenly into crust. Arrange fruit in an attractive pattern over the top of pie. Stir together gelatin, pudding mix, and water in a med-size saucepan until smooth. Place over med-low heat; stir constantly til mix comes to boil. Let cool 5 min. Spoon gelatin mix over fruit. Refrigerate 4 hrs, til set.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!