Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Crockpot Polish Hunter Stew

We ate this Polish Hunter Stew for dinner on the 100th day of school a few weeks ago.  Apparently the 100th day of school is still a big deal in first-graderland.  Dontcha love Blockette's stylin 100 crown?
Anyhow...let's talk about this soup.  I didn't particularly care for it.  I couldn't tell you why.  It just didn't do anything for me.  It could be because my back has been killing me and that makes me super duper crabby.  Or maybe I saw a bug.  Who knows.  Blockette liked it, provided she could pick out those icky mushrooms.  I didn't hear any complaints from Mrblocko.  However, they didn't rave about it either, so I don't think they will be too shook up if this soup doesn't grace the dinner table a second time.

Polish Hunter Soup adapted from 50+ Friends Club Cookbook
6 c. chicken/turkey stock/broth
1 can cream of mushroom soup
14 oz. sauerkraut, drained
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 med. potato, cubed
3 med. carrots, peeled and chopped
3 stalks celery, sliced (chop up the leafy bits too if you have any)
1 lb. polish sausage (mine was chicken sausage), cubed browned
2T  cider vinegar
2 tsp. dill
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 onion minced caramelized

Saute your cut up sausage to bring out the sugars.  Once caramelized and browned, toss into the crockpot.  In the drippings from the sausage, (if any) saute the onion and mushrooms until caramelized, toss that into the crockpot too.  (You don't have to saute anything if you don't want to.  I just like the extra flavors it gives.)  Dump everything else in the crockpot.  Slap the lid on and cook on low 8-10 hrs, or 4-6 hours on high.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!