Friday, February 17, 2012

Microwave Potato Chips

Oh no! I am all out of potato chips!!!! Whatever shall I do?

Run to the store? HA!
Go without? NEVER!

Make your own I say.

Say what? Wait, I know you are thinking, "How can she be serious.  Make potato chips?  Is this the same girl who is terrified of frying?"  Why yes in deed it is.  But this kicker with these chips is that you don't need to fry them.  They are baked.  And the best part is, they get baked in the microwave.
Yes, there is a recipe for microwave potato chips from all recipes. Who would have thunk it?

In a nutshell, here's what you need to do:
1. Wash your spud.  I left the skins on, cause I am lazy.
2. Cut the spud into slices as thin as you can get.  It really helps if you have a mandoline to do this. (I mandolin might help as well, but that has yet to be determined as I have no skill with stringed instruments.)
3. Toss the chips into a plastic bag with 1 T veg oil of your choice.
4. Spray your microwaveable plate with cooking spray.  (You only need to do this once.)
5, Place the slices on the plate in a single layer.
6. Nuke for 3-5 minutes until the chips are brown.  It is important that they get brown, or they won't be crispy.  My mandoline doesn't cut paper thin, so I cooked my chips for 5 minutes.
7. Carefully remove chips from the hot plate to cool.
8. Shake on salt or the seasoning of your choice.

I had two plates that I rotated through the microwave.  As one plate was cooking, I arranged more slices in a single layer on another plate.  This helped speed up the process quite a bit.

Aside from not burning myself or the potato, like I would if I fried the chips, or the long baking time and hunger induced crabby time that would have resulted from actually baking the whole potato in the oven, crockpot, or even the microwave, I felt like this was a pretty healthy way to eat a potato. Frying the potatoes would have me consuming much more than 1 T of oil.  And if I eat a baked potato, you'd better believe that I'd be using more than a Tablespoon of butter, not to mention sour cream and cheese.

So I ate this entire plate of chips for lunch one day and did not even feel like a piggy pig pig.  Aaaa-nd they tasted just like Baked Lays.  So there.

Go ahead and make these babies.  I give you permission to eat the whole spud yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!