Friday, May 3, 2013

Non Choking Hooded Sweatshirt

My mom went to Spain early this spring and bought me this cool hooded sweatshirt.  I've been hemming and hawing over what to do.  The sweatshirt fits perfectly, except the neck is too tight. Boa Constrictor tight.

You see, I'm one of those people who can't stand anything around their neck.  (We'll for some reason scarves are ok.  Probably because I wear them over my mouth mostly, or loosly around my neck.) I feel like I'm choking to death.  I hate turtlenecks so much that Blockette has never ever worn one.  Even seeing one can bring on a panic that I can't breathe.

So, I was faced with a dilemma:  I could alter the sweatshirt somehow and possibly risk ruining it, or leave it alone and never wear it.  I really like the hoodie, but was so afraid I'd ruin it.  So It just sat there.  And sat there.  Not getting worn.  I finally decided that I should just get over it and try to make the sweatshirt into something I could wear.

Ah.

That's so much better.

Yeah yeah yeah.  I know.  I forgot to take a before picture.

The neckline looked sort of like this:
via
See, very close and chokey. Look how the hood sits on the neck of the manikin.  I'm clawing at my neck just looking at the photo.

Of course my sweatshirt is much better than the ones in the above photo. Mine is turquoise and the logo is way more awesome.   It's especially awesomer as I can now wear it without passing out from hyperventilating.

If you have chokey hooded sweatshirts why not hack them up to make them super comfy!

Fear not!  If I can do it, so can you.

I followed this video from Khayotikk on you tube.

As you can see, I made the "V" in my hoodie much more shallow that the lady in the video did.  I didn't want to cut into the logo on my shirt. 

Before watching the video I had no idea how to cut a hoodie like this.  It was super helpful, and made me much less scared to take the scissors to the fabric. Hooray for You tube!

6 comments:

  1. Like you, I'm not a fan of things around my neck, don't wear turtle necks either! LOL!!! I've been know to stretch out a neckline if it's a tad to high too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter has never worn a turtleneck because I can't stand them. I think that might fall in the category of "put a sweater on because I'm cold."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so with you on this. Even generic t-shirts are too close to my neck. Any clothing that goes above my collarbones is too high, and makes me start to panic a little when I'm wearing it. But yet I am totally fine wearing choker necklaces...go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hoods look really cool in these pictures. Unfortunately, we have a hot and tropical weather most of the times so winter clothing isn’t of much use here. Even during winters, it isn’t very cold so I usually end up wearing some casual legging and loose fit tops during my workout sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking for a cozy and stylish winter essential. Check out our Kids zip-up hooded sweatshirt for boys – comfort meets fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for curating a list of the best brands offering hooded jackets for tall men! The recommendations here are fantastic, and I'm excited to explore these picks for stylish and well-fitting jackets. Tall men's fashion just got a major upgrade!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!