Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Banana Split Cake

Sometimes, baking two cakes in August gets to be overwhelming, especially with the excessive heat we've been having this year. Last year, I baked Blockette an enormous 6 layer rainbow cake, and myself a No bake cookie dough pie. This year, I used the oven to make the stargazer pie for my birthday, so it was Blockette's turn to have a no bake dessert.

I remembered seeing a recipe for a Banana Split Ice Cream Cake on Our Best Bites earlier this summer. I thought this would be the perfect dessert for the little munchkin. I told her about it and she was not impressed. Then, I showed her the step by step pictures on the Our Best Bites website, and used my Jedi mind tricks. That did it. She was convinced.

The cake was easy enough to make that Blockette could help me. Although, I think her favorite part was sneaking the strawberry and banana slices. (One for the cake, one for her mouth.)
The cake was a huge hit with everyone. I made only one minor mistake. I was worried the cake would be too hard to cut, so I let it thaw out in the fridge for a few hours. I must have let it thaw for a bit too long because the ice cream was more soupy than solid.

My in-laws really raved about the dessert. My father-in-law, who is notoriously picky, even had a second piece. You know it's good if he wants more!

The in-laws tried to get it out of me how I made the cake. I told them it was a secret. None of them are internet savvy, so they don't ever read this blog. I wanted them to be amazed with my culinary genius.

Then Blockette piped up, "Oh it is easy, you just look at the recipe on the Internet. What's the name of the website you used again?" Way to go and blow my cover kiddo! I suppose I'll let her get away with something like that. It was, after all, her birthday. If you can't get away with being a stinker on your birthday, when can you?


Frozen Banana Split Squares from Our Best Bites
12 3.5 oz. ice cream sandwiches
3-4 medium bananas
1/2-1 c. hot fudge sauce
1/2-1 c. caramel sauce
1 c. chopped maraschino cherries or sliced strawberries (more or less depending on personal taste)
8 oz. frozen whipped topping (like Cool Whip), thawed
1 small can crushed pineapple, undrained
2 Butterfinger bars, crushed (or 1/2 c. chocolate-covered toffee bits, nuts, etc.)

Line the bottom of a 9×13″ baking dish with the ice cream sandwiches, cutting them to fit as necessary. Slice the bananas into pieces about 1/4″ thick and arrange over the sandwiches. Spread the hot fudge and caramel sauces over the bananas. Sprinkle with cherries or strawberries (or both, if desired). Combine the thawed frozen whipped topping with the can of undrained pineapple and spread over everything. Sprinkle with crushed candy bars and freeze for at least 4 hours. When ready to serve, cut into 12 pieces and serve immediately, freezing any leftovers.

1 comment:

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!