Friday, June 8, 2012

BBQ roasted chickpeas

The honey roasted chickpeas were such a hit, I thought I'd try another flavor variation.
These are Baked BBQ chickpeas from Pickles and Honey. Who doesn't love BBQ flavored anything?!  I used regular Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, but if I make these again, I think I'll use the honey chipotle flavor.  I found myself wishing the chickpeas were just a little bit sweeter and spicier.

The baked chickpeas were good, just not as good as the honey cinnamon version.  Perhaps this was because the honey poured over the baked garbanzo beans, while this recipe calls for applying the wet BBQ sauce before cooking.  It seemed like these beans took a lot longer to get crunchy as a result.  I will have to keep my eye out for a roasted chickpea recipe that has you applying the BBQ sauce after the beans are all dried out.

Baked BBQ Chickpeas from Pickles and Honey
3 C. Chickpeas, cooked (about 2, 15 oz. cans) (use the dried beans if you can, I've found they cook up better)
1 Large Clove Garlic, crushed
1/4 C. – 1/3 C. BBQ Sauce, depending on personal preference
2 T Olive Oil

Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drain and rinse chickpeas and place them in a large bowl. Add the crushed garlic, BBQ sauce, and olive oil to the chickpeas and stir until the chickpeas are evenly coated. Transfer chickpeas to your prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Bake for 35-40 minutes, stirring once after 20 minutes.  (Mine were not finished baking after 40 minutes, so I would take the crunchy ones out after an additional 10 minutes of cooking, until all of them were baked to my liking.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!