Friday, June 29, 2012

German Chocolate Fudge Bites

Ok. So apparently peanut butter week is over. 
This recipe does have ground up pecans in it, so that sort of counts.
You know. If you squint and hop on one foot.
These German chocolate fudge bites from Chocolate covered Katie are a pretty healthy treat.  The main sweetness of these chocolate-y treats comes from dates!

Apparently I like dates.  Even though they look like bugs.  But with this recipe, it's not like you're popping a squishy buggy shaped critter in your mouth.  The dates get pureed in the food processor along with pecans, cocoa and coconut. 

I'm sure if you used unsweetened coconut and omitted the chocolate chips, they would be even better for you.  Of course I did nothing of the sort.  Momma's got a sweet tooth that must be satisfied!

The fudge-y treats were perfect when I wanted just a little something sweet.  They were chocolate-y without being overwhelming.  Sometimes in the summer I don't like the way a piece of chocolate melts and coats the inside of my mouth.  For some reason it makes me feel warmer. 

I stuck these little babies in the freezer because they didn't seem to want to hold together properly otherwise.  This helped them last a bit longer as I don't go into the freezer nearly as much as I do the fridge.  They were a nice cool little snack.  They were firm from the freezer, but not jawbreakingly so.

Oh and did I mention that there is no baking involved?  Yeah.  Another reason why these are the perfect sweet for summer!


German-Chocolate Fudge Bites from Chocolate Covered Katie  (Makes 10-14 balls)
3/4 cup pitted dates  (120g)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/16 tsp salt
2 T cocoa powder (or raw cacao powder)
2 T shredded coconut
1/3 to 1/2 cup raw pecans
optional: feel free to add some mini chocolate chips

Blend all ingredients together very well. (I recommend using a food processor.) Squish the dough together. Roll into balls, cookie-cuttered shapes, or bars… or you can even use it for a pie crust!

2 comments:

  1. "You know. If you squint and hop on one foot."
    Best thing I've read all day!
    I've tried a couple of Chocolate Covered Katie recipes before, but haven't had much success.
    This recipe sounds great and I love the idea of popping them in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's something my mom used to say when I was a kid, particularly when she was rationalizing some peculiar food substitution. I think this is the first CCK recipe I've attempted. I'm a bit leery of some of them as I have a massive sweet tooth.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!