Monday, February 15, 2010

Dutch Babies

Once upon a time in a land of ice and snow there was a restaurant called Pannekoeken. They were a Dutch themed restaurant, with a funky windmill thing on the exterior to boot. Their specialty was the dish that they named the restaurant after, the Pannnekoeken. Around these parts they are more commonly referred to as Dutch Babies.

Dutch Babies are like a huge popover as big as your plate. I used to love getting them on the special occasions that we would frequent Pannekoeken. The only down side was that if you ordered the house special, it would take at least 30 minutes for you to get your order. What kid wants to wait 30 minutes for their meal, after waiting at least 30 minutes to get seated at a table? So, to my great sadness, I just wasn't patient enough to get one of these tasty treats the majority of the time we visited the restaurant.

You can imagine my horror when I finally got the opportunity to eat one of these sweet poofs on a plate, and they served it with sour cream. Sour cream??!?!?! Waaaahhh? Originally, they were served with fruit and whipped cream. Yes, sour cream and whipped cream both contain the word cream, but they are in no way, shape or form, acceptable substitutes for one another. Strangely enough, the restaurant closed down shortly after this incident. I blame the sour cream. Way to go people!I sure wish I had known how easy this dish was to make years ago. I'd make it more often, except I still don't like to wait 30 minutes for my breakfast. I found several versions of the Dutch Babies on a few recipe sites a few years back. The one listed below is my favorite. The photo above is made with 3 eggs and 2 T butter. This seems to be the perfect amount for the three of us. The version with 4 eggs and 3 T butter poofs up a lot more and makes for a much cooler presentation though.

Dutch Babies
1 c flour
1/8 tsp salt
1 c milk
1 T sugar or honey
4 eggs (3 eggs)
3 T butter (2 T butter)

Preheat the oven to 425. Mix flour salt and milk. Add sugar, then eggs one at a time. Beat well after each addition. Place butter in a 12 inch round pan/skillet with high sides. Melt butter in pan in oven. once butter is melted pour in the batter. Bake for 25 minutes. Serve with maple syrup, jam, powdered sugar, fruit or a squeeze of lemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!