Thursday, February 11, 2010

Project #4: Fuzzy Pillow

I cannot remember how long ago I started this project. It had to have been at least 3 years ago because I still had my old cranky sewing machine. I had to stitch all the furry swatches together by hand because my old machine couldn't handle the bulk of the faux furs. When I finally got around assembling the pillow the other day, the new machine laughed when I begged it to stitch through two super thick fuzzy layers. It wasn't the laugh my old machine would have given me, but the laugh that said, "Oh sweetie, this is nuthin."
How on earth did I get all these furry bits of fabric? Once upon a time there was a fabric company that gave you ten or so free swatches, just for the asking. I asked a few people to request faux fur swatches of their choice. Some of the swatches are quite a bit more hairy than others. I love the variety of all the different lengths and textures. They make the pillow quite fun to pet and play with.

Speaking of pets, I thought the cats would go gaga over the fur and tear the pillow to shreds. After their initial investigation, they turned up their tails and went back to bed. They had been sleeping all day and that can really tire a cat out. I don't blame them for wanting to take a nap.

The back of the pillow is orange with bits of bright pink. I don't know why, but the camera didn't pick up any of the pink streaks. I originally bought this fabric to make into a diaper bag with a monster face. Since a diaper bag is no longer needed, I felt ok using the fur for an unintended purpose. There was quite a bit of orange fur left over after assembling the pillow. I've already got a plan for it. Hopefully, I'll get around to that new project in the not too distant future. What does Blockette think of this new monstrously crazy furry pillow? When she got home from school and saw it, her response was, "Oh!!! Mommy!!! It is gorgeous! I always wanted a pillow just like this! Thankyou thankyou thankyou."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!